Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1908 Harley twin

As exhibited by C.H.Lang at the Chicago show that year

Hi Barry, Where did this article appear? Is there more to the story than what you photocopied. Awesome picture.

Comment

came out of one of my magazines, "motorcycle Illustrated "1908. I have a lot of literature. the picture has a short description in amongst descriptions of all the other bikes etc. at that particular exhibition.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Has anyone ever speculated to the fate of this particular motorcycle?

Comment

It was last seen negotiating a snowstorm at Portage and Main!
          .... sorry, couldn't resist, I lived in Winnipeg in 1959/60.
          Harley raced a twin in these years . Croilius was the racer. I would have to do some digging to get the references. I'm sure some of the gurus will chime in .

Comment

I'll await with baited breath. 1959 you say. I went to grade one that year and was already a seasoned biker of 2 years. Our neighbour had a 1958 Vespa ( he only had daughters) so I was in luck for rides. Unlike the 1908 HD double I know the old vespa resides in Victoria BC. Herb, you out there???????

Comment

I have a Nov.1 1908 Motorcycle Illustrated that states in a column titled" Doings at Milwaukee" , Saturday, Oct. 10th the Automobile Club of Milwaukee intended to hold an automobile race at the fairgrounds. No motorcycles were invited to race, but since there were a goodly number of motorcycles on the grounds
              and the fact that only 6-8 automobiles lined up to race, a number of motorcycles obtained permission to run around the track a few times. Lacy Crolius jumped on his Harley-Davidson TWIN, and with a flying start of a half mile surprised the auto men by covering the first mile in under a minute(60 mph). Who was Lacy Crolius,and, how did he have a Harley Davidson TWIN in October of 1908?
              Blupacer

Comment

1908 Milwaukee endurance run
                Left to right Oakley Fisher, Walter Davidson, S.Lacy Crolius

Comment

Bluepacer, get Herb's book "At The Creation". It will answer a multitude of questions on the strap-tanks. There is evidence that there was a twin as early as '07. Great pics Barry!!! I think you could probably accomplish a "coffee table" book all by your lonesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ross
                    Our neighbour had a 1958 Vespa ( he only had daughters) so I was in luck for rides.
                    I had a 1958 Vespa in Compton, Calif ...in 1958. It followed me to college in Corvallis, Oregon. It is gone now but served its purpose well. ...bill

Comment

In a shameless plug for H-D "At the Creation" all the above questions are well-covered and answered in that landmark book. There are also other rare and previously unknown photos of pre-1909 Harley v-twins and where they appeared on street and track as early as 1907.

The first appearance we know of a Harley v-twin was at the Feb. 1907 Chicago Show, which suggests that it was built in late 1906. With its rigid fork and other early features the bike pictured in the OP could be that very first prototype.

Almost certainly these early twins were all scrapped, but you never know.

Curiously, most "official" H-D histories still use 1909 as the first twin made date, but "At the Creation" we have pushed that back to very early 1907!

Comment

Hi Barry: I am working on a video documentary about motorcycle racing in Manitoba. Do you have any photos or stories that you would like to share? DO you know of anyone else who was racing here at that time or earlier?

Thanks,

Alf

Comment

every one loves a come back

As most of you probably have gathered, I really don't care about anything from the land of cheese, but this is the best thread in a long time to come up. Come on back, Barry.
                          Best,
                          Mark

Comment

Alf please contact me at my home in Headingley as I have been known to practise history without a license. I know a few things about early Manitoba racers. 1 204 831 8165. I agree with Mark....Barry...any new info on the HD double story??
                            Ross

Comment

Working...
                            X