The Traub Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Traub Legacy

Mr. Traub with his first home made masterpiece!

Nice find.

From the length of the manifold and carb position it may have been a hard-starter on cold mornings.

Also notice the heroic effort he's making to get a lower seat position. Lowering the top-rear section of the old bicycle frame didn't come easy for some reason. Maybe when it was straight like that it was easy to hang the tanks on, etc.

The bike shows a lot of Harley-D influence, which isn't surprising if the photo goes with the Chicago dated letter below it and with all the Harleys C.H. Lang was selling in Chicago around this time.

Wasn't there a later Traub mystery bike that was in the club mag? But a teens model? Or am I dreaming that? It does say "first" in the title, suggesting another one.

Comment

This letter with photo from an early magazine confirmed to Dale Walksler that his later Traub was not stolen as was earlier believed as it was found bricked up under a stairwell at the same address this letter was sent from! Made Dale's day when I showed him this evidence at Oley last spring.

Comment

traub

mr.Brown,
        thanks for posting that picture,as a chicagoan born and raised i have been aware of the story of the later traub,but this is great. But it would mean more to me if i knew what that address was,knowing the city very well,my imagination strains for a context.Crabb

Comment

749 north paulina street, I hope this doesn't cause a stampede to the unsuspecting present inhabitants

Comment

Re: traub

Originally posted by m.crabb
            mr.Brown,
            thanks for posting that picture,as a chicagoan born and raised i have been aware of the story of the later traub,but this is great. But it would mean more to me if i knew what that address was,knowing the city very well,my imagination strains for a context.Crabb
            Traub is not a very common name. Try to track down relatives. Sometimes that really works.

Comment

many have tried. there presently is a Chicago lawyer named Traub who claims no connection to this bike but has been made well aware of the situation by many amateur detectives!

Comment

Traub

B.Brown,
                thanks for the address,about six blocks or so from where my maternal grandfather spent his youth;he would have been about ten,ah,the stuff of daydreams.mc.

Comment

Working...
                X