AMCA at the AACA museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMCA at the AACA museum

I'm wondering if anyone here can fill in the blanks with the agreement that is suggested in the AMCA newsletter about joining forces with the AACA museum? There are not many details. What will it cost the AMCA and what will it get for the $$. As much as I want to see motorcycles displayed for all to see I have questions about this. Does this have anything to do with longtime board members "retireing"?

AMCA at AACA museum

Now that everyone is starting to get their new newsletter does anyone have any answers? What will it cost the AMCA and what will it get for the $$$?

Comment

Museums????

It seems everyone wants to open a museum. Our membership has grown extensively in recent years and as is always the case with any organization older members leave us and become replaced by a younger next generation. I would believe that the future of our club is through stills and video clips on the web so all members worldwide can see, hear and appreciate these fine machines. I applaud Dale Walksler, Wheels Through Time All American Transportation Museum in Maggie Valley NC, John Parham's National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa Iowa, Mike Silvio's Cyclemos Museum in Red Boiling Springs, TN and many others for a lifetime of passion, commitment and scraping together machines and memorabilia for all of us to enjoy...but it requires extensive travel to visit these fine museums. Walksler's Time Machine and Jay Leno's Garage have done a great job in placing short video clips of their individual collection pieces on their websites so people from around the world have access to rare motorcycles and automobiles. It seems the AACA / AMCA topic has had too little information out to our members and I would also like to know more. My last concern is that Hershey Pennsylvannia is not centrally located for much of America to access it.
      Steve Klein
      Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
      American Pre-teens - 1965
      AMCA Member 12176
      Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
      www.CherokeeAMCA.org
      Steve@SteveKlein.com
      Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

There is certainly a lot to be said for having an extensive website for all the members all over the world to enjoy and for the most part it seems that the Forum (at least before the old photos were lost - temporarily I hope) is as far as the AMCA is going, at least to this point. It is my hope that the AMCA will continue to fill in the blanks in this website and Forum to make it more informative, extensive and user friendly.

As far as the AACA/AMCA museum in Hershey is concerned, it would seem that it is not the intention of the Board to make it the center of the club's activities, in the vein of the Barber museum. (If there is I would have hoped to have read about it in the announcenment). Ideally, there would be at least one big major event at a club's museum where the museum is the true heart and center of events. Though there are a number of super National events of long standing it seems somewhat illogical to place such an importance on establishing a Davenport-like event in New York when the National museum will now be in Pennsylvania. Don't misunderstand me, I am not disparaging the enormous amount of work that goes into putting in an event of Rhinebeck or Davenport or any of the other National meets. Each and every one involved in those meets has the gratitude of everyone who attends. But it seems that the AMCA, if it is financially or otherwise unable to establish a museum on grounds that could accomodate a National event at least once a year and is prepared to undertake such a task, would be better served by financially assisting other motorcycle museums in joint promotions that would benefit everyone.

I'm sure that the intention of the Board is to establish something in some reasonably accessible locale that would showcase the many illustrious years the AMCA has served the hobby. There would be no better place to do so in a museum dedicated to that purpose. However, I see no benefit in having a museum that is only a collection of memories. A museum should have a higher purpose, to present the hobby as a living and growing entity that services both man and the machine. Static displays cannot do this. Examples of museums that do are the Barber Museum and Wheels Through Time, both of which involve the visitors in the excitement of the hobby. I'm sure there are others of which I am unaware. They do this by establishing events that involve people on-site! And unless the National is prepared to do likewise, I personally see no benefit of visiting that museum.

And I have one last beef - while many of us were upset and dismayed when H-D did not show any respect for the attendance of the oldest running H-D, a 1905 model (and we all know who the owner is), the AMCA has been equally negligent when club members perform equally relevant undertakings. My favorite example is the attempt by Dale Walksler to break Fred Ham's 1937 Knucklehead "most miles in 24 hour" record at Talledega with no recognition from the club. Where did I read about it? In "Hot Bike" magazine of all places! These are the kinds of happenings that the AMCA needs to promote!

If you read all this, thank you.

With the greatest respect to all who nuture this hobby,
        Lonnie C from SC
        Lonnie Campbell #9908
        South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Wow Lonnie.........well said. I think that this forum could use a suggestion box. Well put thoughts could go a long way to help making this an even better club. That is provided they were reviewed and discussed by the powers that be.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

How about it Board members?

Lonnie,

Very well thought out and presented I would be interested in knowing more about the joint venture with the museum.

Seems to me that the few board members that tend to choose using the fourm to reply here do it rather sparingly I think Pete Gagen seems to be the most vocal

Also Lonnie,you hit it square on the head with Dale Walksler In would hope he at least recieved a phone call or e-mail to thank and congradulate him,Dale is a guy that does ride em!
            Chuck
            AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Lonnie,
              Great post ! I read it twice, hope others do the same.
              Johnny Whitsett
              AMCA # 8626

Comment

In case you have not heard. Dale Walksler is closing up Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley. Press release said he was leaving North Carolina. I have heard a couple of rumors about what is going to happen to the collection but have not got to talk to Dale personally yet.

Comment

AMCA at AACA

I started this thread several weeks ago thinking in that time there would be some answers. With the failed alliance from a few years ago I would think the AMCA would be very cautious about getting into another. The AACA museum is in at least one other alliance right now. Was this other group contacted? What will the AMCA get for its $?? At least some of the little bit of info released is misleading, if not incorrect. The vote may have already taken place.

Comment

Originally posted by scoop View Post
                    In case you have not heard. Dale Walksler is closing up Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley. Press release said he was leaving North Carolina. I have heard a couple of rumors about what is going to happen to the collection but have not got to talk to Dale personally yet.

What???? Damn I haven't made the journey there yet. It was on my list of things to do....
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Wheels Through Time

I'm not surprised. Dale has a never gotten any cooperation from the local or state authorities. There are problems with taxes and he can't even get the highway authorities to advertise his facility on those brown information signs. Thus, many lost potential customers. It's a wonderful museum, my favorite and a great loss to that area I would venture to guess.

It's really a unique facility; it is "a museum that runs" unlike most others. It's can't be easy running and paying for a facility like that. Rumors on Buzz Kanter's web site claim it may be coming back to the midwest. I only hope he does open it elsewhere.

Howard

Comment

Lonnie C;
                        Good comments. Hope our Board of Directors gives us more straight forward info?

I am challenged by your comment about Barber Vinatge Motorsports. The organization that benefits most is Barber and probably not The AMCA. I attended last years event and never did get a warm fuzzy feeling about our sport at his facility. No disrespect to Jeff and his fine staff, however I would submit that Barbers insurance carrier and his subcontract security company are running their operation. Too many twenty year old security staff that know nothing about antiquemotorcycles are ruining what could be a good experience for attendes. It is hard to view motorcycle displays in the museum when security guards follow you from bike to bike and flinch when you get close to observe a feature for fear you may touch the machine. Many of our members also really enjoyed being checked continuously for their ticket even though they were inside the ticket gate. Had to stop my 1912 HD belt bike twice on the way to the bike show to check my ticket. Guess they thought I drove in from Texas on it and jumped the side fence Bud Ekins style to save a few bucks?

I'll stick with friendlier venues in the future. Big money does not make a collection, or an event...People do. Sure a few people are gate crashers or try to get something for nothing...not exactly the personality profile of The AMCA. Museums should be friendly, accessable and educational for all ages. Dale Walksler, John Parham and many other museums are truly appreciative of every enthusiast that enters their facilities and they understand that life is busy, trips cost money and people have a choice of where they can take their motorcycle vacations. Barbers primary function is as a racing facility and they are working on how to become a vintage motorcycle venue yet. I wish them well.
                        Steve Klein
                        Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
                        American Pre-teens - 1965
                        AMCA Member 12176
                        Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
                        www.CherokeeAMCA.org
                        Steve@SteveKlein.com
                        Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Steve,
                          Last year was my first visit to the Barber event. Sad to hear that you were not comfortable there. In my 3 day visit, (which included participation in the Confederate Chapter parade and bike show, pit crew member at the "Race of the Century", touring the museum, and attending the auction) I guess I was lucky. I felt welcome and never like someone was looking over my shoulder. It makes sense to me that Barber benefits from the event. Its their event and to my knowledge the AMCA is an invited guest while bearing no expense related to the event, other than gate fees paid by AMCA members. The Confederate Chapter of the AMCA does have some expense....trophies etc.
                          Barber is different for us old rust lovers, as it is not exclusively antique related. They are learning every year, and I feel they are trying to highlight AMCA members participation.
                          The sad part of it all is that you and I are here carrying on this conversation and not in Florida getting rust on our hands !
                          Johnny Whitsett
                          AMCA # 8626

Comment

AMCA at AACA museum

Anyone care to step up to the plate with the latest on this issue? Is it final yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MGD View Post
                              Anyone care to step up to the plate with the latest on this issue? Is it final yet?
                              See the recent joint AACA/AMCA press release at

http://www.socalamca.org/2008/amca_press.pdf

My understanding is that the arrangement is a temporary 18 month one which then has to be found satisfactory before any long-term arrangement is set in place.

AFJ

Comment

Working...
                              X