No announcement yet.

Evel Knievel Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a colourful guy he was. In around 1974 I found myself in Toronto Canada for the CNE, Toronto's answer to a State Fair type setup. I watched the parade that day and there was Evil catwalking his 750 HD up and down the Toronto streets. Then later on he was the feature in the stadium as he was setting some kind of record for jumping semi trailors.My ride in those days was a 1968 BSA and I was thrilled to have a birdseye view of the famous jumper. The announcer called and off he went with not a alot of lead time to the first ramp.Up he went and sailed through the air with ease clearing all those big rigs and hit the down ramp hard on the front wheel. He cames to a stop and jumped off and waved to the very tumultous crowd. I swear all but a handful of spokes were left unbroken on the front wheel. The front wheel kind of flopped around when they later wheeled the bike away.I have always considered myself lucky to have been there that day.

Comment

Cool post Ross,
      First person accounts are such a special part of history. Thanks for your input.
      JKE

Comment

Undoubtedly he was a man of action. Circa 1979 a friend sold him the most beautiful original paint 1913 Eagle on the planet ( with the big 9hp dreadnaught engine) . He uncrated it ,took one look and blew up in a telephone call to my friend and sent the bike right back! Of course this was in the era when only a knowlegeable few appreciated original paint. Back then there were many examples of over restored and poorly restored bikes that should never have been touched directly from the ranks of our own AMCA. Maybe he was getting advice from one of these misguided souls.

Comment

I met Evil in Daytona about 10 years ago on Main Street with his (real?) rocket cycle. I'll see if I can find a picture to post. This was before he had his Liver transplant. He was in rough shape back then. He may have lived a celebrity life style but boy did his body pay for it!

Comment

Just an update on my story about Evil jumping the semi trailors in Toronto, I just talked to my buddy who was with me at the time and he says we were there in the summer of 1975. Might as well be accurate. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X