Bike Appraisal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Appraisal

I have a 1945FL in which I am needing an appraised value determined. I was involved in an accident after leaving the Barber Vintage Festival, which left my bike severely damaged. The guys insurance adjustor has no clue where to obtain the value.

Does anyone know where I may be able to obtain an appraisal and an assessment of the cost of the damages?

Thanks,
    Highlander

Has no one ever had the need or has known anyone with this situation?

Comment

I had a wreck on my '51 FL. The insurance company wanted an estimate from a bonafide motorcycle shop. With that estimate they gave me a cash settlement and I did all the work to find genuine parts and bring it back. I don't know what you're looking for in regards to a value because that is a very subjective concept, and that's the position an insurance company is going to take. In other words, you may think it's worth a lot but unless you insured it as an object of a specified value, an insurance company is just going to consider it a very old, used motorcycle. I know you want it brought it back to the condition it was in before the wreck. If the bike was all original and genuine it could be very expensive, and take a long time to round up genuine correct parts. There are a lot of factors involved in quoting an estimate of cost, i.e. original vs. reproduction parts, extent of damage and finding someone with the knowledge of vintage Harleys. Have you talked with bike shops ?

Comment

After my 1953 BMW R51/3 was totalled in an accident, the other guy's insurance allowed me to find some "comps" to establish the value of my bike. I think I did alright with this, but it was difficult to find the kind of comps I wanted (eg, bike in good, riding condition with essentially original stock parts...)

Comment

No I have not talked with any bike shops at this point. I agree with you on needing someone who is knowlegable with vintage motorcycles. That is where the problem lies...finding that person. I am located in the Atlanta area, and my knowlege of a bike shop in this area who knows old iron is very limited. I do all of my work myself.

As for what I am looking for is the estimate to be similar to what your sitiuation was...to be able to put the bike back in the condition it was prior to the accident. Most all parts damaged were original with the exception of the exhaust, mirror, front tire, foot boards, and seat. The front wheel is NOS, just installed about three months ago.

Thanks for your responses and any other info you may be able to provide. I will attempt to find a shop in my area for help...

Comment

panhead city

might want to try here ,there in georgia but not sure how close to you. heres a link http://www.panheadcity.com/The_Histo...head_City.html

Comment

I was going to suggest Panhead City too. Maybe Louie MCmann will jump in here and give you some names of North Georgia shops.

Comment

I know of Panhead City now that you mentioned them. They are in Rome Ga., about 50 miles from where I am. I will give them a call. Any others will be of help as well...

Thanks,
                Highlander

Comment

There are quite a few Dixie Chapter members in Atlanta but I can't think of any shops where you might get an estimate on your Knuckle. Chuck at Panhead City will help you out. Also if you know anyone at a Harley shop, maybe you can get them to write up a "good" estimate, the insurance company would like that better too.

Comment

Thanks Louie for your reply. The Harley shop "endorsement" would carry so clout...just not so sure they can help with a bike older than 10 years....the new breed being their forte...

Highlander

Comment

That's why I ask if you knew anyone that worked at Harley that might "help" out with the estimate. I was left hand turned a few years ago on my Panhead and got got a couple "good" estimates. I think they figured what parts were needed and then doubled it, at first the insurance company bulked because the bike was "so old" but finally paid up. Good luck!

Comment

appraisal

Did you try Clete at Old Dude here in town?

http://www.olddude.com

Comment

Yes I did, he was my first. He referred me to Hartman Cycles in Canton. Thanks

Comment

How about Doug Hicks?

Doug owns Doug's Custom Cycles. He builds Flat Head, Pan Head and Shovel choppers. He is very knowledgeable about all the early Harleys and is a state registered and licensed dealer. He is in Lawrenceville.

wdhicks@mindspring.com

Comment

The motorcycle auction houses that sell old bikes at ungodly high prices must have professional appraisers working in that field. You might find somebody to professionally appraise your bike (on the high side) thru them.

Comment

Working...
                              X