Race of the Century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race of the Century

Anyone know who won the "Race of the Century" this past weekend at Barber Vintage? Also how many entrants and what kind of bikes, thanks.

Louie,

Here's what the old man said

10 entries
    8 starters
    7 finished
    Curtiss (owned by Bruce Linsday) won
    Dale came in last (sorry Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dude
      Louie,

Here's what the old man said

10 entries
      8 starters
      7 finished
      Curtiss (owned by Bruce Linsday) won
      Dale came in last (sorry Dale
      What was Dale riding? His early Indian?

Comment

Last I heard was Dale was riding his Single Indian again and Bruce was taking his Twin Curtiss

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman
          Last I heard was Dale was riding his Single Indian again and Bruce was taking his Twin Curtiss
          Oh, a Curtiss twin? Bruce is full of surprises!

Comment

I've been updated on the most recent "Race of the Century" and found out the following:

Bruce Linsday brought two bikes. One was a 1907 Curtiss single that Joe Gardella "brilliantly" rode to victory. Joe won by about a quarter mile and that was after getting a bad starting position.

Bruce rode his 1905 Harley again and finished around 5th place. ("Hard to remember where when you're in the back of the field.")

Guess it's true those early Harleys were "pluggers" as often claimed and not speed freaks.

The Curtiss placed 1st, an FN 2nd, and 3rd place was Jim Dennie's Crouch (that's a brand name that would never make it today!)

Dale W. rode his 1903 again, but at race time he couldn't get it running right.

There were two 1907 Curtiss models entered Both were singles.

I hear that Bruce doesn't have a Curtiss twin but wishes he did. Who doesn't?

Comment

I emailed Joe when I found out he had won, here is his description of the race.....

"The bike was a single 07 Curtis belt drive. Other than Dale Walksler I believe I was the last one out the gate By a good 5 to10 seconds. We were griding for a running start when Brian Slark droped the green flag while I was going the wrong way hoping to hold up the start so Dale W. could get up and running. I pedaled my ass off to gain bottom end speed by the time I got to the starting line I could no longer keep up pedaling with the bikes pace so I just tucked and let the motor pull me to speed. I cought and passed all the bikes between turn one and two by halling ass and not letting off for the corners. I beat the second place rider at the end of the race by 30 seconds *******CHAMPION******** what a blast. No pedal power was necessassary after I crossed the start line.

Comment

Cool........... That would have been a sight to see.........

Comment

what were the other 4 machines that attended??

what was the complete finishing order of machines??

anyone got any photos to document this event??

aka HAWG

Comment

That sounds great fun , wish I could have been there - riding of course - Photo's sound a good idea , does anyone know the engine sizes and speeds of these pioneer machines too ?? Sounds like that Curtiss really flew and YES who wouldn't like a Curtiss twin , count me in!!!! Ken

Comment

great race

Attached Files

Comment

All I can say is WOW...... Thanks jurassic.......

Comment

Race of the Century

Hey Guys -

Get those 1908's and lower year bikes ready for next year, because The Confederate Chapter will be sponsoring the Race of the Century again next year for its 4th annual Race. There will be 2 classes next year - Singles and Twins
                          See you there:

I think this is how the Race of the Century turned out!

Calvin Burnett - 1905 Indian Single (Did not Start)
                          Calvin Burnett - 1907 FN 4 cylinder (Did not Start)
                          Bruce Linsday - 1905 Harley Single
                          Bruce Linsday - 1907 Curtis Single Ridden by Joe Gardella (Winner)
                          Dale Walksler - 1903 Indian Single
                          Vince Martinito - 1907 Indian Twin (Did not Start)
                          Frank Westfall - 1907 Curtis Single
                          Frank Westfall - 1907 FN 4 cylinder (2nd Place)
                          Jim Dennie - 1906 Crouch (3rd Place)
                          Barber Museum - 1907 Peugeot
                          Barber Museum - 1907 FN (Did not Start)

David Lloyd
                          Attached Files

Comment

Eric Dunk of Iron Block Harley, Adams Centre New York was second on the ex Doc Patt FN 4.

Comment

Thanks for the Correction - I thought it was Franks Westfall's Bike
                              Good Job Eric Dunk!

David

Comment

Working...
                              X