Movie: "Ghost Rider"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie: "Ghost Rider"

I saw "Ghost Rider" yesterday for the first time and wasn't expecting much so I wasn't disappointed. A better title would have been "Hell Rider" because that's what he was, not a ghost!

Predictable comic book plot with typically good Hollywood special effects. I did note that Johnny Blaze's chopper looked similar to the Captain America chopper in the movie "Easy Rider." That was probably no accident because there was Peter Fonda standing next to it as he was playing the role of Satan in "Ghost Rider."

A few times you almost did get the thrill of riding a motorcycle and it's always nice to see a movie where a bike plays a starring role. The flaming skull rider character (Ghost Rider aka: Johnny Blaze) on a hell-bound machine was kind of cool, but there was no deeper meaning to it. Just your usual saving the world from evil plot...

The old ghost cowboy (who really was a ghost it seemed) was a nice touch as the link between the flesh and blood horse and the iron horse (mc) is always valid. The scene where he and his hellish horse paced the flame snorting chopper was good. He sort of reminded me of Rosenblum's "Holy Ranger" persona/character.

It ended all set up for "Ghost Rider" #2, 3, 4, 5, etc. etc.

I didn't view the film yet but you got me thinking about another film which is to air on HBO this year, as I understand it. It is called something like "1%". Seems it will be a weekly sitcom involving patch wearing bikers. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Paps
      I didn't view the film yet but you got me thinking about another film which is to air on HBO this year, as I understand it. It is called something like "1%". Seems it will be a weekly sitcom involving patch wearing bikers. Paps
      Sitcom about patch-wearing bikers is a good premise. Their bikes are often funny looking and good for a laugh. Too bad I don't have HBO.

"Ghost Rider" is worth renting, kind of. I also liked the way they made Johnny Blaze and his old man a direct copy of Evel Knievel down to the costume. I thought he would be a drome rider, but nope, he was jumping rows of semi trucks, etc.

BTW: I recently bought a 7 DVD set of the entire "Then Came Bronson" series and pilot movie due to my recent interest in Sportsters. I plan to watch them over the winter. Some of you guys must remember that TV series. Seems to me there was a thread a year or so ago that mentioned it.

Comment

Are you certain that "Bronson" rode a sportster.? I thought I remembered him on a super gluide. Now you got me wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider
          Are you certain that "Bronson" rode a sportster.? I thought I remembered him on a super gluide. Now you got me wondering.
          I'm quite certain it was a Sportster and not sure (without checking) that the Super Glide was even out yet when the Bronson series aired.

Seen "Ghost Rider"?

Comment

When I think about it, I don't think there has ever been a good motorcycle movie. The only one that come close is (and I'm sure I've got the title wrong) "Code 1". It was made in the early 50's about L.A. motorcycle cops. The thing I hate about motorycle movies is the motorcycle is always relegated to window dressing. The motorcycle is just like an article of clothing for the star. I have yet to see a movie that understood the relationship a biker has with his motorcycle. It's LOVE man ! Until Hollywood understands this basic fact, they will continue to make lame, forgettable crap. Actually, that goes for about 85% of the mindless drivel that comes out of that stupid place.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric
              When I think about it, I don't think there has ever been a good motorcycle movie. The only one that come close is (and I'm sure I've got the title wrong) "Code 1". It was made in the early 50's about L.A. motorcycle cops. The thing I hate about motorycle movies is the motorcycle is always relegated to window dressing. The motorcycle is just like an article of clothing for the star. I have yet to see a movie that understood the relationship a biker has with his motorcycle. It's LOVE man ! Until Hollywood understands this basic fact, they will continue to make lame, forgettable crap. Actually, that goes for about 85% of the mindless drivel that comes out of that stupid place.
              Absolutely true and correct. First we need the Great American Motorcycle Novel from which a good motorcycle movie could possibly be made.

I remember as a kid in the 1950s seeing a movie about motorcycle troopers/cops in California. I have often wondered what the title of it was. Maybe that "Code 1"?

One nice touch in "Ghost Rider" your post brings to mind was that after Johnny Blaze takes a big spill after a Evel Knievel style jump, the first thing he says is: "Is the bike all right?" At that point I jumped up and shouted: "He SHOULD have said is MY BIKE all right!"

Exactly that "love" thang you mentioned....

Comment

That was bugging me so bad I had to look it up. I'm wrong again. It was a sportster he rode in the TV series. The series only ran for 1 season here in the states, that was 1970. All you guys across the pond got to view it for 2 seasons, 1969/1970.

He's my source:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Then_Came_Bronson

Intersesting reading, if you have the time. Man, now I remember the show like it was yesterday. Thats my smile for the week. -Steve

Comment

I shouldn't be to tough on Hollywood. I like a lot of that mindless drivel they produce, but they always get the biker movies wrong.

Comment

Let me post the name of another so-so, but somewhat enjoyable bike movie. 'Roadside Prophets' is being aired on the IFC, and sometimes twice in a 24 hour period. It's full of cameos of famous actors playing bit parts that are almost lost in the story. Two guys on a quest. One looking to find all the 'Motel 9's on their trip. The other, to carry the ashes of a friend to El Dorado, which they can't find on the map. If you can't find it on IFC, rent or buy it. Both main characters are from rock bands that I'm vaguely familiar with. Both are great actors. Enjoy.

Jack

Comment

John Stamos, hope the spelling is correct, did a fairly decent one. I can't remember the title though. It was about military bikes, Lots of wla's and other vintage machines in the flick. Yeah, it had a bit of romance in it too. All in all it was a refreshing film of vintage motorcycles in action. The film was focused on entertaining the viewer for the most part. Paps

Comment

Paps.... you knew someone would dig this up

Born to ride

http://movies.aol.com/movie/born-to-...04247/synopsis

Comment

Bingo !! That's the one ! I have a copy stashed away but it would have been a real effort to dig it out. I use to carry it along to swapmeets to pass a few of the night time hours away. As I said, many vintage machines on this flick. Some real riding talent as well. Yep....there is even some mechanics performed on scoots to boot. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider
                            That was bugging me so bad I had to look it up. I'm wrong again. It was a sportster he rode in the TV series. The series only ran for 1 season here in the states, that was 1970. All you guys across the pond got to view it for 2 seasons, 1969/1970.

He's my source:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Then_Came_Bronson

Intersesting reading, if you have the time. Man, now I remember the show like it was yesterday. Thats my smile for the week. -Steve
                            I picked up the entire Bronson series plus the pilot movie for $35 on the internet. Haven't watched any of it yet. Saving it for winter....

Comment

One good movie is called something like "Charlie the Moonbeam Rider" starring David Carradine as a conartist who enters a cross country race on bikes back in the '20's. The movie has tons of old bikes. I recorded it off TV a few years ago, and will have to dig it out to get all the details.

Comment

Working...
                              X