I Goofed Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Goofed Again

Had my Chief motor assembled, with the jugs on. Then I decided that a couple of the tapped holes for the head bolts needed to be fixed. Decided to try to fix it insitu with a Helicoil. Bad plan. Drilled out the hole by hand and it ended up crooked, about 5 degrees out of square. After thinking up various fixes, including elongating the hole in the head and making a tapered washer, I came to my senses and pulled the jug. Making a base plate to put it on the Bridgeport and make the hole square, re-drill, retap,then use an "EZ-Cert".

Sounds as though you have a solid plan in-place now.

I think someone once said: "There is never enough time to do something correct the first time but always enough time to do it a second time."

If this site had a section titled "I goofed Again", I could go on forever about the things I"ve done.
    I have a 1/2 wall in my garage that is covered with things that I have destroyed over the years. I call it "my wall of shame." If I destroy a part beyond repair I put it on that wall to remind me not to repeat that again. It must work, cause there are no two identical parts the on that wall. -Steve

Comment

Man that saying holds true !! I love the garage wall idea. Can't get a better reminder than that. I like the topic idea too !

One may have thought that job could have been done on a drill press too but I have had failures with those also. The mill was the way to go. Don't feel bad though. We all have done simuliar things. Paps

Comment

It sounds like the shelf in Burt Monro's shop (World's Fastest Indian): "Offerings to the God of Speed"

One of the quickest lessons I ever learned, shortly after purchasing floor model shop press, is that with enough force you can destroy just about anything.

Your Grandfather's advice; "measure twice, cut once" is always appropriate and has a thousand variations.

mike

Comment

Working...
        X