Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot News: REAL Inventor of First Harley-Davidson!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
    After the 2003 100 year anniversary tour with Bruce Calvin and I ridding with John Harley Herb Wagner and others touring around town (Milwaukee) it is my opinion that none other than William Sylvester Harley himself was the chief force and designer in the first bike. He was truly an engineer, designer, draftsman and freehand artist. All others involved where his assistants, partners in crime.
    I don’t intend to take away or impugn these gentlemen as they all surely had a hand in one way or another for the finished product, the first Harley Davidson. Besides why did they not call it Harley Melk or Melk Davidson or any other derivative? My hat is off to Mr. Harley and his ability to join hands with all that it took to accomplish the task including but not limited to the Davidson crew, the Melks and all the others.
    I would bet the first Harley was a joint effort of 20 or more individuals along with several parts suppliers.
    Joe
    That was a fun day and no mistake. We ended up with bikes right on Bill Harley's grave for photos. John Harley said: "I think grandfather would like that."

I agree that Bill Harley was the genius behind the whole thing. You only have to look at the vast number of patents he held to see that. Some writers have denigrated him but they are just mean and bitter. Right now we have found 4 or 5 myths about the Eight Valve (some regarding Bill Harley) and what others have claimed but probably is not true.

The only guy whose input seems to have been important was Ole Evinrude, and that was VERY early. Once Bill Harley went to college and got his engineering degree he was second to no one.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by milw.pirates View Post

Herb,
      Were the bore holes done during the renovation of Dept. 43, in the mid to late 90's?,They stuck over a million into redoing the basement,then moved the whole dept. to the P.D.C..
      Ken
      Wasn't Dept. 43 still on the north side of the south building with the ramp going downstairs into it? Where the dynos were?

The "hidden room" was in the basement of the north building towards the west end near the elevators. But I think they had just done some renovation there too. Hazy in my mind but it's all in my files.
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
        Give me the date. I have the mag.
        For some reason I found it instantly. Odd, that rarely happens because when I look for stuff it usually refuses to be found. Maybe the ghost of Harleys past wants this to be told or something on this New Years Eve.

"Is There a Hidden Room at Harley-Davidson?"
        Enthusiast
        Winter, 1992
        p.28

I think there was also a follow-up disclaimer in another issue, but that doesn't want to be found right now.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======

Comment

Right on Herb!!! Hopefully Chris is as lucky in finding that article!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

dept 43

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
            Wasn't Dept. 43 still on the north side of the south building with the ramp going downstairs into it? Where the dynos were?

The "hidden room" was in the basement of the north building towards the west end near the elevators. But I think they had just done some renovation there too. Hazy in my mind but it's all in my files.
            Herb,
            It's my understanding that Dept.43 was area to the right of the ramp into the basement,I know of the bricked in area under the stairwell,that has the time capsule,they had a small brass plaque to mark it.My Dad gave me a tour after the renovation.
            The hidden roam I have heard about but have never seen.
            Ken S.
            Ken S., # 6457
            1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
            1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 12-31-2009, 05:51 PM.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for posting that Chris...very intriguing. Wonder if anybody has ever thought to experiment with something like "ground-penetrating radar" to get an image of what's behind the walls. The old timers didn't spend time and resources in the old days building unused, empty areas in a building. Has to be something in there.

Hey, let's get the "History Detectives" involved...!!!

Comment

sounds like a job for geraldo rivera.maybe al capone's money is behind that wall
                  rob ronky #10507
                  www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

If they already poked holes in simply stick one of those small camera/light setups in it and have a good look.
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks for posting that article Chris! It still leaves one to wonder. Your camera idea is a good one. If something was found I think a small access could be punched through that wall with minimal impact. I'm glad these kind of stories exist. It gives a guy something to ponder. The "what if factor" if you will........
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                      X