No announcement yet.

Over-restored bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They came as a one piece decal/transfer and were applied using "Gold size" which is a type of varnish.
    Once on the tanks the top very thin layer that held them together was sponged off.
    The decals/transfers were made in the early days by "The Palm Bros. Decalcomania Co. Cincinnati, New York & Chicago" for the HD factory.
    I have a quantity of the original H.D. tank decals and the bar and shield decal that went on the toolbox and the sidecar door.
    I can sell you both if you require them but age has made them very fragile and they are extremely difficult to apply successfully. They are really only suitable for display purposes.
    As a point of interest all the original paint bikes I have seen both here and in Australia have the words "Made in USA" under the Harley-Davidson decal on the tanks and long term research suggests that all the Export bikes had this and that the home market, USA, models did not. Anybody have any ideas on this?
    Tommo

Comment

Thanks You Guys... It always nice to here other people say they would do the same thing that you thought of doing. That is, I'll leave it looking as it is. Looks ain't everything. Hows that old saying go.? "Please don't hate me, cause I'm ugly." It ain't perrrrty but I'm betting it will be a ball to ride. Hummmm..... I think I just had a flash back. -Steve

Hey Mike... Any time your around this way you know you can ride any thing I got that will start. Hope to see ya at Yankee again this year.

Comment

Tommo - Great Information! I would have bet they were silk screened but what you have described makes perfect sense.

While we're on the subject, what is the best protective layer to apply over the water transfer patent decals currently available for tool boxes, battery boxes, oil tanks etc. I have been afraid to apply anything such as clear coat or varnish because I don't want to ruin the decal. I would also like to wash the bikes after riding them and not risk washing the decal off.

any suggestions?

mike

Comment

Steve,

Just kidding, have fun with your newest time machine! Of course I'll be at Yankee Lake again, first beer is on me!!

Comment

FREE BEER ???? Did I hear FREE BEER ??? Just kidding Paps

Comment

Yankee Lake, OH. Road trip! ...bill

Comment

Looks like its almost over for this year....

http://yankeelakebikenight.com/index.htm

Comment

Paps,

Like I said, first one is on me.

Bill,

If you're making a road trip from Oregon, we might even go two!!

Looks like the list is growing, maybe I ought to think about taking out a loan by November...

Comment

Working...
                  X