http://www.ironbutt.org/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.ironbutt.org/

Hey guys, I am home sick with the flu, and I stumbled onto this website. I was wondering if any of the forum members are members or completed the challenges. I am going to do the entry level ride next summer (1000 miles in a day)

http://www.ironbutt.org/

It's one thing one a late model; but so much more of an accomplishment on an older machine.

good luck with it,

RAS

Some kinda knuckle would work !

Comment

Matt wish I was young again good luck !!

Comment

rashd,

You're right about the accomplishment factor. I wonder if anybody has ever done an iron butt on a hardtail with a thin skin solo seat, the ones with the horse hair or spanish moss padding? The foam padded deluxe solos on any of my rigid frame pogo stick bikes is bad enough after about 100 miles.

I'll extend the same best wishes for success, what are you going to ride?

mike

Comment

An Iron Butt ride on an antique bike. Now that would be an accomplishment, not for the bike but for a modern butt. Speaking only for myself, I believe the motorcyclists of yesteryear were made out of some very tough stuff. My wife and I have done three Iron Butt rides on our late model HD. The formula is very simple.
          1. Good weather
          2. Stay on the interstate as much as possible
          3. Average 63 mph or a little more. Less than that and you turn it
          into a an Iron BEATER! Much more than 63 and you will be
          mostly speeding, which is very tiring and risky, of course.
          4. No meals, sorry, only energy bars, gator aide, etc., until you
          are close enough to smell your destination. Even then
          road construction or some disaster on the highway can ruin
          the ride.
          5. No mechanical failures allowed, just no time for fixes.

We are not endurance riders per se though, just thought it would be fun to challenge ourselves. Now wel stick to 650 mile days or less.
          Steve

Comment

just posting to brag, i did the 1000 miles in 24 hour ride (actually did it in 18 hours) not as hard as it sounds , i did all highway miles and only stopped for ten min. at a time , started 4am , not a good sleeper anyway..........try it you can do it.... thanks christopher scott certified iron butt rider....ps did this on a 2003 ultra harley

Comment

Matt, 2 years ago when I left the Sturgis road ride I did 460 miles the first day , left at 8am and stopped about 7pm so I don't think you would have a problem with accomplishing the ride bar mechanical , just make sure you end at a hot tub and a good bed you will more than likely need both, good luck! ps, on a 36vh.

Comment

I've got a couple vague recollections - first about 15 years ago a write up in Cycle or Cycle World about some guys building a 48 Indian to do the four corners ride. Second, wasn't there something in the club magazine a few years back about a guy doing the 1000 miles on a Knucklehead? Google turns up this guy doing the 1000 miles on an Indian ... Perry

Comment

YOUR NEVER TO OLD!

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT
                  Matt wish I was young again good luck !!
                  Inline4nut
                  AMCA Member Ken Askey at 80 years of age has completed the 24 and 36 hour runs

Comment

Matt,
                    Man, I'm glad I'm not you right now! Talk about pressure. Ken has raised the bar by quite a measure.

So have you decided on your stallion on which you will ride for the iron-but yet? Please tell me it will be the knuckle.

Comment

Chuck...I guess I better get my A** off the couch and try to catch that young fella!Thanks for makin me feel good

Comment

I'm Just as guilty

Chuck...I guess I better get my A** off the couch and try to catch that young fella!Thanks for makin me feel good
                        LOL..........Inline,I have no room to talk........I have wanted to do it myself for the last 10 years.

About 14 years ago I rode 2386 miles in just over 52 hours on a 72 flh with a sidecar years later I found out about the Iron Butt association and looked into it thinking that I would take a shot at it thru the IBA.

What I have found out from their web site and from people that have completed it they say that when it comes down to it you really need to keep some accurate times,places,routes and any types of receipts with dates and times and you will need people along your route to sign slips allowing the IBA to speak to those people.

Comment

I'm Just as guilty

LOL..........Inline,I have no room to talk........I have wanted to do it myself for the last 10 years.

About 14 years ago I rode 2386 miles in just over 52 hours on a 72 flh with a sidecar years later I found out about the Iron Butt association and looked into it thinking that I would take a shot at it thru the IBA.

What I have found out from their web site and from people that have completed it they say that when it comes down to it you really need to keep some accurate times,places,routes and any types of receipts with dates and times and you will need people along your route to sign slips allowing the IBA to speak to those people.

Comment

Working...
                          X