Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to CYA when selling something overseas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to CYA when selling something overseas??

A guy in Italy wants to buy a part from me, what would be the best way to cover myself as far as payment goes, so I don't get scammed or stuck with some bogus check? I've never done this before, so any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Mike

I sold an engine to a guy in Italy and was concerned about payment as well. I went to my bank and they gave me my account "Routing Number". Just email that number to the person you want to send you money and he can send it directly to your bank. He will not be able to access any of your funds . I had my money deposited within a day or so. Here is a language translation website if you need it as well, it will still not translate everything but it helps:
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Comment

kunzog,

I asked someone at my bank (I have since changed banks) when someone in Washington wanted to pay for a part that way, the person at the bank said not to do it, that they would have access to my account. I will check it out with the bank I'm at presently, since I personally think that person didn't really have a clue what she was talking about. Thanks for the input!

Mike

Comment

Mike,

My wife works for the bank on a US Military Installation here in Germany,

I know that from talking with her, that it takes a little more than just your Bank's name, routing number and account number to be able to access the account.

Anybody can deposit into accounts given the above information, but not everybody can Withdraw, from the account given that same information.

George Greer

Comment

I've sold stuff overseas and direct deposit is the only way to go. You will need to give them your bank name, routing number, account number and name on the account. They cannot withdraw funds with just that info, though I was a bit nervous the first time I gave out my account number. It seems to me with that info, they could print checks, couldn't they? But I haven't had problems.

I wouldn't do Western Union... it is the biggest fee rippoff, though low risk since you get the CASH at their office.

Certified checks are easy enough for anyone with a computer and a $100 inkjet printer to make you a "Certified Cheque". I still have one from a Nigerian scam. I didn't even try to cash it.

Comment

most of my overseas transactions hav gone down like this I ask for and get an overseas certified bank check from them then THEY wait until it clears,some of them actually have contacts here in the USA so they send an AMERICAN Postal Money order for them this works the best,I prefer NOT to give any Banking info to people overseas unless I know them well,

Comment

If they send me a check in any shape or form and it bounces, does my bank charge me for that? I was also wondering about Paypal, how safe would that be?

Comment

I sold a part to a guy in Sweden. around $500. I required western Union and 30 minutes later I went to the Supermarket, which has a Western Union counter, and recieved my CASH. Then on the way home I stopped at the Post Office and sent him his part.

Comment

Paypal is safe... The sender only know your paypal account name to send to, not your password.

Paypal charges a fee on the receiving end, though. On big ticket items, it can get rather expensive. Also, it is not immediate. Paypal holds onto your money for 3-5 days. Think about how much interest they make when doing that to millions of people everyday!

Comment

I buy parts from people in the US that don't do paypal so I change money for free at my bank and send cash in $'s for about $5 recorded delivery and get a tracker number.
                    A bank cheque in $'s would cost about $30.

I fold cash in a couple of sheets of paper and tell post office it has no value.If it has value they stick a label on it that says "come and steal me."

Comment

Working...
                    X