X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMF/H-D: "Confederate Edition"

I know it existed.

Or did it?

Because I can't seem to find it mentioned in any of the "official" H-D history books including (ahem) the "Big Book."

Was it merely a mirage or a dream that I had?

Like that time I was cutting oak firewood in the gathering twilight but I saw a perfect jumble of JD cylinders instead?

Or the time I was camped out near an old ruined farm and I was haunted by the presence of an old Harley single (1908?) lurking somewhere in the weeds if I just searched hard and long enough for it?

Yeah, probably another mirage or dream....

sounds like the 60's were good to you harley

Comment

Originally posted by cheifrider
      sounds like the 60's were good to you harley
      True, those kind of flashbacks I can live with (gotta watch that chainsaw tip tho!)

Comment

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/confederatehd.htm

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/confederatehd.htm

Comment

It may be an embarrassment now but in the context of it's time it was acceptable. Southern themes were very popular. Remember "The Band" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down". Also the popularity of the Southern Rock genre. There was a general affection for all things Southern and it permeated youth culture at that time. The stars and bars was the symbol of this and nobody seemed to have a problem with it. We now live under the dark veil of censorship called "political correctness". I don't blame Harley Davidson one bit, if they feel the need to find and destroy every one of those bikes. In this miserable age of "trial by media" something like this could ruin them and we have all seen that army of PC iconoclasts that wait in the wings for something to hate and kill in the name of a more politically correct America. Whew, I'm getting kind of wound up here and I'm usually the first to say "never talk politics."

Comment

Harley,

The current management of HD seems to ignore a lot of
            their history when it doesn't quite fit the "Harly Image" of
            today. I checked Willy G's 100 years of HD and lo and behold,
            no Servi-car. Now why is that important? Because if the Founders
            of HD had not designed the Servi during the great depression of
            the early 1930's, HD would have gone bankrupt like many of the
            other motorcycle makers of the time. In fact, HD's Letterhead
            for the 30's & 40's I believe had SERVI-CARS to the left and
            MOTORCYCLES to the right. But a three-wheeled workhorse
            just doesnt fit in the Harley CHROMOSEXUAL world of today
            just as the Stars & Bars of the old South.

Comment

Well lookin back I remember lookin at those MCs and saying why would anyone want one? if your from the north !!It would be a nice oddball to have now,and as for the correctness of it when were motorcycles or the riders for that matter acceptable or correct,fook the company and the so called riders of present!!!!

The company (HD) has forgotten where they came from and they better be careful where they are going,their stock is dropping fast!

HC keep dreamin baby!!!

Comment

TMarony, I've never heard that before, Chromosexual. Now that's funny.

Comment

Chromosexual: "A chromosexual is a person who rides a motorcycle and tries to put every piece of chrome available on their bike. Also a person who will spend thousands of dollars on chrome parts for their bike, and little or nothing on maintenance. It is better to look good, than to run good."

I had to look that one up.

That is the first Confederate that I've seen, more pictures please!

Harley has been rewriting their history for years, be it PC or not, Remember the 100th annaversary models in 2003 and now HOG has gotten a year older overnight by celebrating it's 25th year in it's 24th year. What's next.....the chopper seen never happened!

Comment

I think someone is getting the "stars & bars" (the first battle flag of the confederacy) confused with the confederate battle flag.

I guess it depends on where you live, but Southern themes and Southern Rock are still very popular in Dixie. Southerners are very proud of their history and heritage, but I can definitely understand how a company who caters to the masses wouldn't advertise such a bike. It wouldn't be a problem in Tennessee, but I reckon it's a Southern thang.

Comment

I had a chance to buy one of these back about 25 years ago. We couldn't agree on a price. He claimed this "special edition"was worth more than the average sporty. Today I'm sure it would be but not in 1982. He also claimed that this bike was only available from dealers below the Mason-Dixon Line. I think this might be true. They were all painted (confederate) gray.

Comment

rousseau,not so they were on the floor here in Maine Brand new! But I bet they did better south of the mason-dixon line
                        I think its fine nation wide we diagreed all those years ago ..but we are still together as one !

Comment

Originally posted by rousseau
                          I think this might be true. They were all painted (confederate) gray.
                          Gray paint on a Harley?!

Comment

I remember those bikes, partly cause I am a real civil war buff and I lean towards the south. I have a 58 cal enfield in my safe, one of many guns used in the war. I remember thinking the decals looked cheap I thought at the time. Funny stuff, reading Harleys reaction to their past models being discovered by some of the public. I think also that though they dont want to think about it, AMF kept em going. I think they would be just another ex maker of American machines otherwise. Bout that time I remember going into a dealler and looking at the new machines and there would be puddles of oil under each, nice clean oil under brand new HD's, how times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by TMarony

Because if the Founders of HD had not designed the Servi during the great depression of the early 1930's, HD would have gone bankrupt like many of the other motorcycle makers of the time.
                              I'm a little skeptical that the most expensive*, lowest production bike Harley made was responsible for HD surviving the depression. In my opinion HD survived the depression because Schwinn pulled the plug on Henderson production. Oh and HD didn't design the Servi, they copied Indian's Dispatch Tow ... Perry

*Take 1936 as an example, 36 Knuckle was $380 new. 36 Servi was $425-$495 depending on what was included.

Comment

Working...
                              X