Repop VS. Original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repop VS. Original?

This question has probably been addressed before, but probably everyone has an opinion on it. When is a repop part "acceptable", and when is it not? I'm not necessarily talking about a potential 100-point bike that's going to be a show queen, but a fairly correct-appearing rider.

I hear that one should stay away from certain reproduction parts, and others are just fine. How do you know which is which? For example, I'm in need of a set of inline springer handlebars, they are going for crazy money on eBay and elsewhere right now. Are the repros out there good quality, and is it obvious that it's not an original part? I've had people tell me to stay away from repro sheet metal, but "wear items" such as exhausts, fuel lines, etc seem unavoidable. I'm just fishing for some opinions as to what parts to avoid, and which to buy new & save the grief of refurbishing...

Mike

Ouch Mike !! You opened a big can of worms. 9 times out of 10. at least in my experience, trial and error of purchasing a part is just that. You buy it, try it, and decide for yourself for the most part. A question about a particular part, such as the handlebars you seek, will, IMO, help you out much better. I believe Faber Machine out of Michigan makes some darn good handlebars. Not cheap but considering the accuracy and quality of his work, he earns it. Again...IMO....avoid Tiawan parts unless you have no other choice. My rule of thumb is OEM, OEM NOS, U.S repop, European repop, all, in no particular order. Paps

Comment

Fabor's bars rock, the switch holes are in the right location, the internal controls are compatible with his bar ends, and he makes whatever style you prefer. We use his bars exclusively on all of our restorations and it makes our life a lot easier. Don't waist your time going somewhere else.
      Carl

Comment

I know this is an old post, but does anyone in the USA make a nice repop replica springer front end?
        AMCA 26656

47EL
        47WL

Comment

I think the best you'll ever find for a replica springer is 45-Parts Depot.

https://www.flatlandmotorcyclecompan...egory_id=11831

Comment

Hey Mike, Where you been hiding? Here's my take on your question. I personally build riders because I want to ride them as soon as I safely can. The quickest way I’ve found to do that is pretty much like Paps said which is to “buy it, and try it”. Its a lot tougher to build something than it is to assemble it. Aftermarket parts require lots of patience and tweeking but sometimes they are all that’s available and just have to do when building a rider.

Tom Fabers handlebars are really not that expensive and definitely the way to go if your going to use internal controls. Even as cheap as I am, buying his bars was a no brainer.

Tomcat, Rooster is right. Get in touch with Kurt. His stuff is very nice.
            Last edited by Ohio-Rider; 07-31-2010, 11:10 AM.
            ------------
            Steve
            AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by hogluvr View Post
              This question has probably been addressed before, but probably everyone has an opinion on it. When is a repop part "acceptable", and when is it not? I'm not necessarily talking about a potential 100-point bike that's going to be a show queen, but a fairly correct-appearing rider.

I hear that one should stay away from certain reproduction parts, and others are just fine. How do you know which is which? For example, I'm in need of a set of inline springer handlebars, they are going for crazy money on eBay and elsewhere right now. Are the repros out there good quality, and is it obvious that it's not an original part? I've had people tell me to stay away from repro sheet metal, but "wear items" such as exhausts, fuel lines, etc seem unavoidable. I'm just fishing for some opinions as to what parts to avoid, and which to buy new & save the grief of refurbishing...

Mike
              Here is what the AMCA says about reproduction parts.

"6. Accurately reproduced parts count the same as original while judging a restored category. However, in judging an original condition category the part must be original."

It has also been interpreted to "if more than one reproduction part is available it must be the better made part". So with that is mind I would say that Tom Faber's handlebars are better made than the imported bars sold by V-twin.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, Steve,

Thanks for the kudos. Maybe I can offer you a job in Sales........

Comment

Originally posted by fabercycle View Post
                  Chris, Steve,

Thanks for the kudos. Maybe I can offer you a job in Sales........
                  Naw, Just make me an offer I can't refuse on a couple sets of bars.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

parts

If you are doing a JD or VL I would recommend Tom Fesser at Replicant Metals. He makes dead on faithful repo sheet metal and other parts of high quality and perfect fitment. No beatin, bangin, bendin required. Bolt up and go. Fortunately I have all original stuff but if I need something down the road that is the way to go. He is located in Penn. www.replicantmetals.com 717-626-1618.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                    AMCA # 12766

Comment

Chris,

Send me a PM with your needs, and I'll see what I can do to help.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                      X