Bike Shipping Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Shipping Question...

The family vacation this year is going to include Davenport...... I'm not sure how I swung it, but it's on the list of places to stop. This is all great, but has also caused a question to be on my mind. It may be a dumb question to a lot of you but what if I just happen to fall in love with a relic that I just need to adopt? Does any of the Canadian members have experience with getting a bike home after a purchase? Shipping, dutes etc. I won't have the means to haul it home myself and hoped that someone else has been in this situation and could offer some advice. Any machine that I've found up until this point has rode home with me in the back of my pickup.

Thanks in advance........

Cory

I checked into shipping some bikes to and from Saskatchawan about 10 years ago. The shipping cost about doubled if they had to cross the US/Canadian border. I'm not sure why. I've crossed it myself a couple of times and it didn't seem all that difficult or dangerous.

Comment

If the bike is over 15 years old it comes in duty free, but GST is paid at the border. PST as applicable when licencing.
      There is a new rule. Before importing a vehicle from the States, you must inform US Customs ahead of time by at least 48 hrs. You can call the border crossing you are going to use, and they will provide the form via e-mail or fax. You then send the completed form, and a copy of the title or bill of sale to them via fax. 48 hrs later, its ready to pick up at US customs. Canada Customs won't let it in without this US documentation.
      Pete Gagan

Comment

Thanks for the info Pete!!! I'm also looking forward to having a look at that Excelsior of yours!!!!

Comment

I imported a bike from the US this spring and my experience was slightly different than Peter's. The US side must be notified at least 72 hours prior to export from the US. I wasn't sure what to expect so I jumped through the US loops. Stopped at the US side and got the title stamped "Export Approved" (no one even bothered to come out and verify the VIN matched the paperwork). When I was at the Canadian side paying the GST I explicitly asked if doing the US procedure was required to get a vehicle into Canada. I was told that the Canadian side isn't responsible for enforcing US laws and frankly they could care less if I did it or not. If I showed up with the bike without having the title stamped "Export Approved" by the US side they would tell me about the US law (in case I didn't know) but would still allow the vehicle into Canada if that was what I wanted to do. Like the US side the Canadian side couldn't be bothered to walk out to the van and look at the bike or inspect the VIN.
          Contrast that with today coming home from the Tenino meet. I'm in my own car (rather than a rented van) and I declare $55 in used motorcycle parts and $10 in stuffed animals for the kids. They pulled me aside and tore through the car. Surprise!, they found $55 in used motorcycle parts and $10 in stuffed animals. "Welcome home" one of them said as they glumly walked away ... Perry

P.S. I can't put my finger on the US Border Patrol web site I followed when I did my bike, but this is similar and outlines the procedure for you:
          http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/export/ex...hicle_exports/
          Click on the private vehicle link

Comment

Perry, you are correct that US customs requires 72 hours not 48 to search the US title. A Canadian customs officer who is diligent WILL send back a bike and the importer to US customs if the title is not stamped. I know because this happened to me ( or at least my importer) a month ago! It seems Canadian customs and US have been instructed to co operate with each other more these days. There is NO duty on motorcycles of ANY age coming from the US , just gst and then pst is paid when licensing.

Comment

This is why this forum is great!!! Ask a question and you shall get an answer! I definitely feel more informed. Thanks fellas.......

Comment

Working...
              X