Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction.

Hello,

My name is George Greer. I am a civilian contractor living and working is Germay.

I have had the pleasure to meet Steve Sclocumbe, and Peter Reeves a couple of years ago at the Veterama Oldtimers Meet in Germany.

After receiving some help from Paul Jung at W&W Cycles and seeing the Dinkelsbuhl photos, I decided to join the AMCA.

I have a 1942 WLA Early Type III, that I got from Russia and fixed... I am not going to say "Restored", because my bike is far from the way that it was delivered to the US Army during WWII.

It is the way that I like it, and I don't ever intend to have it entered into any shows...it is just for fun.

Thanks to meeting the above mentioned men that have impressed me, I intend to stay active here and with the "happenings" with the AMCA here in Germany and futher around Europe as I am able.

Thanks for reading my rammblings..

George Greer

Welcome George ! johnny

Comment

Hello George and welcome to the AMCA!

Do you have any photos of your WLA you can post?

A bike that went to Russia in WWII and survived to tell the tale is certainly worth seeing.

Thanks!

Comment

George Welcome! Nice to have you onboard! And it would be very nice to see that fine machine of yours! Good Luck and enjoy!

Comment

my wla.

Before, and after...

Comment

Nice bike.

George, when you say before, was that how the bike came thru/after from WWII? Was it a runner? Looks like it. What year were the "before" pix taken?

Do you know it's history?

What part of Russia did it end up in? Did you buy it in Russia? If so, how much do they go for there?

I wonder what route that machine took into Russia. Didn't the US ship in stuff through the port of Murmansk in the north and through Iran in the south to "Uncle Joe" (Stalin)?

While I had a couple WLAs in beater condition I never had a WLA carrier rack but always liked them because they are so heavy duty and useful.

Back in the 1970s one time on my really nice stock dark army green 1947 WL (w/18" wheels) I was at the local swimming quarry in Racine with Frank (39EL) and we spotted this BIG chunk of limestone with a nice fossil trilobite in it. Of course I had to have it so I strapped it to the back fender on my WL which just had those nearly useless two parallel rail tie-downs. By the time I got across town and home to my dad's house that nice mint WL fender had a BIG dent in it from that rock bouncing around. I think that dent is still in there. I sure could have used a WLA carrier that day!

Comment

George........Welcome Bro ! Glad you joined us. Finest organiztion I know of !

Folks..........I know George. He is a fine outstanding and honest individual.

Paps

Comment

more info..

How I got the bike.

My wife works for the American Bank on a US Military installation and one day a customer of hers came in, wanting to wire some money to Russia, (his wife's Russian), he's done this several times to help his inlaws........my wife joked with him about money laundry's illegal.....He goes nah-nah it aint like that....

He goes on to say he rides a Harley, my wife says Oh yea my husband does too........then he goes on to mention that I am a history nut about WWII, my wife says....my ole man likes that part of history as well.......and goes on to tell her that he's found a source of WWII Harleys and was I perhaps interested in having one.......she put me on the phone with him, and then I was in contact with Oleg, in Moscow.........and money's paid...bikes on its way from Moscow... to Germany...

The bike was NOT a runner........the photos I have know idea when they were taken.

The bike came in two big box's. some of the parts must have fell out of the holes that were somewhere in the box's...cuz I have had to replace quite a bit of stuff on it..... transmission was in seperate box.....and was not assembled...front fender wrong....rear fender rusted out...front wheel shot...rear wheel I ain't got a clue what it came off of....Metric threaded nuts and bolts....and the list goes on and on...

After finding several sources for parts for this bike, I kept going and going........IF I had it to do over I would have invested in painting stuff and painted it my self....but I didnot and It is the way that I like it and will keep it.

I do have to reccomend some people for their help, and I hope I don't miss any..

JW Boon & Rene Holland
                Kurt and Windy Riffe, Holland now USA.
                Tom at NOS Parts Ohio... (NOS Front and rear wheel assy).
                Peter Paul Jung W&W Cycles Wurzburg Germany.
                Harry Hacker, Germay

Flathead Power and Iron Motors Tech BB's

Sorry to be sooooo longwinded about this..

Comment

Working...
                X