Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who know this RD Guys ?

Need help.

Found this Picture from 1929-1930 with Co-Workers from the H-D Factory Race Dept..

Does anybody know something about this Guys ?

Thanks

Fritz
    Attached Files

The 3rd guy from left is Herb Reiber. Top hillclimber. Worked in the Service Department & taught school there; not sure that he worked in racing.

The guy on far left might be Jim Underwood [or is that Hank Syvertsen?].

I've seen a couple of the others around but can't name them offhand.

Comment

The guy on the viewer's far left (sweater and tie) is indeed Hank Syvertsen. He ran the racing department between Bill Ottoway and Dick O'Brien.

Comment

Herb, Jerry,

thanks a lot.

From left to right:

Hank Syvertsen, Paul Weyres, Herb Reiber,

and then Orin Lamb ?,

and Jim Underwood.

Is this " Professor" Orin Lamb ?

Herb,

in your Book 30-41, Page 109 on the Pic from 1937

Thanks for your help

Fritz
        www.harleysons.de

Pic: AMCA European Chapter Meet 2007
        Dinkelsbühl/Germany

Antique Motorcycle Club of America
        European Chapter International Meet
        4. July - 6. July 2008
        Dinkelsbühl/Germany
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Jerry. The more I looked at it he seemed to be Hank (Henry), but it's good that you confirmed it.

Fritz: The guy to the right of Herb might be Orin Lamb but I'm not sure. Is that Jim Underwood?

Around this time a Bill Kasten also worked in racing, but I don't think I've ever seen his photo.

Another possible guy is Johnny Powers around this time.

Not sure who the guy on the right might be.

Photos of service school classes and teachers from period Enthusiasts might turn something up as these guys tended to wear several hats.

Comment

Jerry, Herb,

here's another shot from 1929 in front of the Harley-Davidson Guest-House ? I don't know the Steet but on the Pic you can see the Number 3519.

Jim Underwood is left and Paul Weyres right.

The other Harley-Davidson Guests ? I don't know.

Fritz
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Harleyson's
              Jerry, Herb,

here's another shot from 1929 in front of the Harley-Davidson Guest-House ? I don't know the Steet but on the Pic you can see the Number 3519.

Jim Underwood is left and Paul Weyres right.

The other Harley-Davidson Guests ? I don't know.

Fritz
              Fritz just nailed Jim Underwood.

Ganz gut! Excellent work!

Would 3519 be Mother Gunderson's house?

That would be my "guess."

She boarded Harley-D visitors for many years...

Then the guy next to Herb in the first pix might well be Lamb (or Powers? I'm not sure when Bill Kasten started, maybe later in 1930s. I kinda think that Powers was there in 1929-30 already)

Comment

I just looked up Edith "Mother" Gunderson's notecard and in 1933 her address was 3233 West Juneau so my "guess" might well be wrong, unless she moved or the street numbers changed, which may have happened in that neighborhoods when Chestnut became West Juneau.

(How come Harley-Davidson is NEVER easy?)

Didn't H-D own a house near the plant that shows up in 1920s-30s vintage salesmen school pix?

Comment

Hi Guys,

Sorry to butt in but those old pictures are really interesting, they take me back to the "good old days" in the old neighborhood.

I went to High school about 4 blocks south of there on 35th and Wisconsin. The house at 3519 W Juneau is no longer there, its a parking lot now. The boys in the photo are facing south, the factory is about a block west of them on their right. I haven't been by down Juneau in quite some time but I'm pretty sure that "Mother's" house is still there, about 3 blocks east (on their left).

I know the attached photo is not an antique motorcycle but at least it is chain driven. It was one of my grandfather's trucks, he an his 7 brothers ran a tobacco works in Milwaukee in the late 1800's and early part of the last century, my dad and his brothers carried it on after WWII and kept it until about 20 years ago. The address on the truck is 595 N 35th which is about 5 blocks south of the factory. The truck is a 1915 Kissel Kar 1500 pound Panel Delivery, built in Cedarburg Wisconsin just northwest of Milwaukee. Unlike Harley, the Kissel Kar company did not survive long after WWI.

Keep up the good work!, someone has to preserve all this history.

Mike Schmitt
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Herb and Mike,

thanks -

here's another Picture.

Is this West Juneau ?

Fritz
                    Attached Files

Comment

Fritz, the last picture has me stumped!

It do not think it is Juneau Ave (Chestnut until 1926) for several reasons. The railraod tracks are the clue, if you go west from the factory, toward the tracks, Juneau slopes drastically downhill, this intersection is too flat. The tracks run behind the factory to the north and are still there today. They run on a diagonal so they cross the north-south streets at an angle.

If this photo was taken anywhere near the factory it is most likely 35th Street looking south. If you walked up the tracks to the right you would come out behind the factory about 1 1/2 blocks to the west.

If 37th Street actually crossed the tracks in the 20's (I wasn't there then but its quite possible), there is a chance that this is a pic of 37th Street looking north across the tracks. The factory would then be immediately behind you on the left.

Just some guesses,

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

thank you for the Informations.

Here's another Picture from Winter 1929-1930 in Milwaukee.

Fritz
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X