New Farmington AMCA meet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Farmington AMCA meet.

What is everyone's thoughts on the upcoming AMCA meet in St. Paul? I've heard positives and negatives. It will still be known as Farmington to most of us! We plan to attend and are looking forward to having a good time.

I had planned on riding my bike to Farmington this year, but with the change in location, I don't feel it is safe to ride an old bike on the interstate and through that heavy of traffic. Even tho it is an hour closer to me, I'm not going to vend "if" I even go. I know I should support the club but I really liked Farmington the locals and what it had to offer. I am also aware of several vendors that are not going for about the same reasons. I have been to the state fair grounds, don't care for it and personaly think that it is a large step backwards for the Viking chapter regardless of what they say this move has to offer. I wish them luck but sorry but I'm not giving them my support. Just my two cents.

TR

Comment

I am really disappointed with the decision to move the meet to St. Paul. Farmington was always my favorite meet, not because it was easy for me to get to, but because it was a small meet mostly attended by real old motorcycle enthusiasts. The towns people were very friendly and accommodating, and it was easy to travel about the area on an old machine. I know it was a bit of a hassle for the Viking members, in traveling back and forth, but the old guard didn't complain. Apparently the new leadership is hellbent to turn the meet into a moneymaker, using member machines as part of the circus display to entice people thru the gate at 5.00 a head. I'll have no part of it.

Comment

At first we were thinking of not going this year, because of the tradition of Farmington. We also had heard that a lot of people weren't going-they were boycotting the new tradition. But, as winter turned to spring, more people were beginning to change their minds. Most that originally told us they weren't going, have changed their minds. A few still can't make it, because of the change of the weekend. Fortunately for us, we didn't have another yearly tradition that took place father's day weekend, so we're able to attend. I think the curiousity will get to a lot of the locals, and they'll attend. I sure hope it's a positive event; I think we need to look forward to the new Farmington and enjoy what the event is all about.

Comment

Big city traffic and motorcycles aren't a good fit. The more rural the locale the more user friendly to those who ride on 2 wheels.

That's "Motorcycling 101" in my book.

Comment

HEAR-HEAR Hearley Creation!! I agree 120% with you on this!! Is the club just thinking of themselfs on this one and not seeing the big picture?? The car buffs have a very large gathering called "Back to the 50's" on the same day that Farmington used to be. It is a VERY big thing and brings in tons of money for there club and the local businesses.......but at what cost? I don't want to be some window dressing for a club motovated by money. How can one ride an old bike in the metro area safely?!? I don't belive it can be done. With that in mind, is the Viking chapter taking on a liability issue? I would hate to see something happen that would ruin a good thing. Sorry but I want no part of it. I wish the Viking chapter all the luck in the world but can not support there decision on this move.

Regards,
            TR

Comment

I Think that's bull, I ride an antique allmost every weekend in that metro area. In fact I ride every day to work 98% of the year in that metro. The only other antique meet i've been to is Davenport, which happens to be in the middle of the city.

Comment

Ok, but your familure with the area. From someone not from the area, try riding, finding your turn off and watching out for the other guy. Not saying it can't be done as it is done all the time. How can you compare the enjoyment from a nice leasurely ride in the country to down-town? Davenport is close to the edge of town and not in the heart of the metro area. I'm sure there will be those who choose to ride in and I hope there are, but I'm saying that your likely to loose a number of people from riding in due to your new location.

Also, isn't this meet on the same day as Fathers day? This gives me the choise of paying my respects to my father and grandfather or going to the meet. I'm sorry but the Viking chapter will have to take a back seat to this one. Again I wish the Viking chapter luck.

Comment

We're leaving this afternoon, and gonna hang around until Saturday afternoon, which still gives us time to spend with our father's on father's day (sunday).

The less people that are there, the better deals we'll find on parts! Right?

I'm looking forward to the weekend! We atleast need to give them a chance. If it's absolutely horrible, we'll make new plans for next year.

Hope to see you guys there.

Comment

The DEALS might fit if you have a Winnebago and a comensurate wallet !
                    JKE

Comment

Working...
                    X