eBay seats and saddlebags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay seats and saddlebags

I would just like to say that I have seen a very disturbing increase of sales of " original" solo and buddy seats on eBay as well as saddlebags. I have the utmost respect for the members of this forum and truly believe that all see through the ruse, but alas perhaps there are those that do not. Harley did produce saddlebags in the 1950's that were blue, green, and red, but never matching seats!!!! If anyone using this forum has any questions about the authenticity of any seats or saddlebags on eBay, please feel free to e-mail me. I have been researching this stuff for 8 years and believe I have the documentation about most items H-D marketed.---PAQ

Thanks for the heads up PAQ. The one my Ole Lady sold on fleebag was original though. Police special it was. Brought a fair price and buyer was happy too. And yes....I do see the spammers selling fakes more so than originals. Dilengence with volunteer efforts like yours will eliminate the liars one day. Paps

Comment

Paquette,
      A BIG thanks for your help!After all that research it is nice to see you willing to share,we all owe you one again thank you!!

Comment

This might not be in time, but what do you think of item 150126989180 on ebay? It is up today.

Comment

That eBay seat has been recovered--H-D never finished the bottom that way and the pop rivets give it away!!!!

Comment

That's Italian, and I'll never spell it right: Guilliari or somethin like that.

(They made HD's Aermacchi seats as well, if idenical means anything.)

Vinyl, of course.

.....Cotten
            Edit for clarity: I am referring to a very nice black and white Buddy/Chummee seat.

PS: Not only do I own three or so, I prefer them!

Comment

I would thank Paquette for the generous offer, as well. I have two nice old seats that need work, one of these days. I need new rivets and restitching and above all no further damage to intact original leather cover. It's the process that makes the difference. Some might recall the thread on the poorly placed "restorer's label"

Portage's example is pretty obvious...hopefully less than $75, and it's too bad the seat pan is ruined. I have a similar "re-covered" buddy (rivets on underside), as well as a "dye-job." The Corbin-Gentry fellows once quoted me something like $430 to re-cover a buddy seat.

Here's another, ebay # 220117827297.

Comment

OK, I thought that it was Italian. I've seen them before. Are they period aftermarket? Did Harley use them for replacements? It actually looks like a quality seat to me. It is the proper colors for '65, and the pattern seems to be close to correct. Why pay Corbin 400 bucks?

Comment

eBay item 220117827297 is a FRAUD and was the reason I made the original post here. I don't know if most of these seller are frauds or just stupid, but it just gets under my craw. H-D has never offered a solo seat with a 2 piece cover. As far as the previous seat, I looks like an H-D pan ( actually called a shell assembly) that has been recovered. There are usually a lot of original 1960's era buddy seats for sale on eBay. White, black/white, black, etc are correct for 1965 with a one piece shirt ( called a rear housing) that was attached with screws rather than sewn. I do not want to seem to be advertising my own shop here, and that was not my intent, but I think most of you know what I do. I have had great success in saving original seat covers by replacing the rivet strip ( called a double binding) or parts of it and resewing the cover. The same goes for saddlebags, If I can save the original parts, that is preferable to redoing the entire seat or bag. ---PAQ

Comment

PAQ!

The word 'original' has taken on a different meaning in the vintage motorcycle world than it has in other worlds.
                    And items are often sold on ebay by folks who often aren't experts in the field of their offerings. To them, if it was the seat on the machine when Granpa got it, it's the original seat.
                    If someone in our industry uses such a word, then it usually means 'unrestored'. If they imply OEM when it isn't, then they say more about themselves than the offering.

As far as that vintage custom turquoise and white solo, "vintage custom" probably wouldn't the best keywords to list it under, as no one would find it.
                    Thats why many carbs are listed as Harley/Indian or Linkert/Schebler.

And a beauty it is!
                    But no match for my divine vinyl "bass boat" metalflake solo (Yes, that's a third fringed skirt beneath the white. )

.....Cotten
                    Attached Files

Comment

Cotten,
                      I agree with your point of view. Often, defining words and meanings can be very confusing!!!! As an example, I call a recovered seat done to factory specs on a factory shell assembly ( pan) a restored seat. What I am refering to is OEM seats and bags as they came from the factory.--Your seat is a work of art and I often stray away from "factory correct" to serve the needs and wants of my customers. I once did an H-D 1939 deluxe solo with chrome lace around the edge. If I can ever figure out how to size photos, I will post a pic of it---PAQ

Comment

Working...
                      X