If not Coker Tires, who's? where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If not Coker Tires, who's? where?

In searching all the talk and posts for a good while, I find about a 50/50 split of opionions on Coker Tires, some say they sell "display only" tires , some folks say they run the road with them, no problems. So I am seeking advice: if NOT Coker, who? where? .........normally a negative Coker post will name a tire brand, most times famous, i.e. Dunlop for example, but not a dealer or place to buy from. It is time for tires and tubes on my 1923 Harley model F. It has new 22" clincher rims so a 28x3 tire....correct? Most of the positives for Coker cite a later 5.00x16 tire, such as for a Panhead or Indian. My bike is older and requires tires from an earlier period.........does this enter into the equation as far as Coker? I will ride my bike some, more than display miles, but not thousands per year, most likely a few hundred per year.........is that considered "display" Thanks for any input, Paul

Have you contacted Coker? They stand behind their tires. I think they do make certain "display only" tires. I have a set of their tires on my '65 Harley, but I haven't got the bike together yet to have my own experience to relate. You can't expaect an old bike with square edge tires to be anything like newer ones.

Comment

Had problems early on with Coker. They made good in all aspects. I am pleased with the results I received from them. I recommend a verbal communication vefore purchase with them. In my situation, they went beyond the call of duty to explain, fix, and remedy my problems. Paps

Comment

I've run Coker tires on all the old bikes I've had. I've recently run both the 16" and 18" Firestones with no problems whatsoever. I do run more air pressure than the old books call for both front and rear - about 4 - 6 psi more - to get a decent wear pattern.
        I've also run the Coker brand in 16", ran fine also.
        Lonnie

Comment

More tire questions

Thank you fellows for the input. How about anybody running the BEADED EDGE type of tires? The ones for the older, clincher rimmed bikes? THanks, Paul

Comment

I've run plenty of the 28x2-1/2 Cokers with no problems... Just make sure you run plenty of air... I would recommend at least 45-50 psi.

Comment

I have use Cokers on my later bikes with good results, main grip was they did'nt last very long - 3,000 miles or so. On the clinchers I have had bad luck, watch your pressure and speed - be carefull, oh yeah and have fun

Comment

Re: More tire questions

Originally posted by ncpapaul
                Thank you fellows for the input. How about anybody running the BEADED EDGE type of tires? The ones for the older, clincher rimmed bikes? THanks, Paul
                Vintage Tyre (www.vintagetyre.com) list a 28 x 3 clincher made by Ensign at 72.50 British pounds. I know they have a North American agent as I got a pair of 24 x 2.25 Dunlop clinchers for my Levis a few years ago. The Dunlops were exact replicas of the old Dunlops which were on the bike and work very well. But use 40- 50 pounds of air in a clincher even for low speed running.

AFJ

Comment

Antique tire source

Thank you for the information. I did contact Vintage Tyres through their website, www.vintagetyres.com, (you left off the s on tyres) and they replied with contact info for their US distributor in Hershey, thanks, Paul

Dear Sir,
                  Thank you for your enquiry. Yes we do ship overseas, but I expect it would be more economical for you to get them from our US distributor:

Universal Vintage Tire Co
                  Hershey
                  Tel: 717-534-0715

Best regards,
                  Jean-Pierre Roquier
                  Export Sales
                  Tel: +44-1590-612261
                  Direct line: +44-1590-612306
                  Fax: +44-1590-612722
                  e-mail: jp@vintagetyres.com
                  Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd
                  Beaulieu
                  Hampshire
                  SO42 7ZN
                  United Kingdom
                  Dedicated to the enthusiast we are worldwide distributors of tyres, wheels and associated products for veteran, vintage, classic and contemporary motorcars and motorcycles.

Comment

Website for tires

They have a website: www.universaltire.com

Comment

Working...
                    X