Legend of the Motorcycle show 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legend of the Motorcycle show 2007

Did anyone here make it to the 2007 Half Moon Bay show? This year I hear they featured Excelsior and Vincent so there must have been beautifull bikes. Pictures / links anyone?
    Eric

Check out the photos section. Adming-Guy posted some there. Excellent photos!!!

Comment

I went, and have a bunch of photos on my web site:

http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/mcpics/2007/legendotmc

Comment

Darryl,

Nice photos! Looks like it was a beautiful day for the show, too. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Comment

THx Darryl - funny how photos are marque specific to the shooter. Hee-hee...

I didn't shoot those previous photos -the guy in the first few shots did. Dave it think.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminGuy
            THx Darryl - funny how photos are marque specific to the shooter. Hee-hee...
            Of course it's true, but it's also the case that I've found that having lots of photos can be mighty handy if I come into the same or similar bike later on.

I have an R52 and an R62 drivetrain, and these bikes have the same running gear as the R57 and R63 shown in the photos. Having detailed shots allows me to see how other bikes have been restored (which may or may not be correct, another puzzle to work out, but at least it's a hint).

So, if you're not at all interested in the BMWs, then just page forward and look at the Vincents or the Honda Benlys or something ;-).

Comment

Well.... I'll tell you a secret. I've been to the BMW museum in Munich. They have beautiful lines. I consider them to be one of the best MC in the world. If I were to ride cross country or four flags? Ya, modern BMW.

I would like to own a pre-64 BMW.

No reference books? really?

Comment

There are several books to look at, and there are the parts manuals which are reproduced for every model (aber, sprechen Sie gut deutsch?). I find that these still don't get to the details.

For example, I just realized a couple weeks ago that the driveshaft brake on my 1928 R52 was assembled wrong. I was able to look at the details of the brake area from both sides on four other "stecktank" bikes to see how they had been done, and they were mostly in agreement. I was missing two springs and a third was in the wrong place. The partslist has a photograph of pieces laid out, sort of in the order of assembly, but in this case I don't think I'd have figured it out from that. BMW didn't really figure out exploded parts diagrams until after WWII.

The BMW Museum has been going through a 2 year long renovation. It's supposed to reopen soon. As you know, the building itself is striking, but some of the displays were getting pretty long in the tooth. There are some other great museums in Germany, if you have the chance. The transportation museum in Speyer (SW Germany along the Rhine) has a 747 and a submarine outside. The Zweirad Museum in Neckarsulm is great, too.

I won't tell anyone your secret, but I'm curious about your choice of year. That's in the middle of the run for the Earles Fork bikes (1956-1969). I have a '61 and once set up, they do run. I've put over 20k miles on mine and it's up into the 80k mile range now.

Comment

Working...
                X