Can anyone identify this wheel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this wheel??

I bought this wheel sight unseen from a guy who told me it was off a 1941 Harley 45" flathead, it is definitely something else, not even sure of the make. It is a 40-spoke wheel, the hub is definitely not a Harley star hub, brake drum is about 1" deep, sprocket is integral to the drum, not riveted on like a Harley. Any of you guys have a clue what this belongs too?

OK, I guess I'm an idiot and can't post pictures, can someone tell me how that is done too?? <=====Clueless in Cleveland

Comment

you could email it to me. Contact us link at bottom. I'll post for you and describe what I did.

I think alot of guys are figureing out that reducing the photo resolution to say 72 pixels per inch -as opposed to 200ppi will allow them to post the picture.

Comment

Thanks, you've got mail...

Comment

I reduced the width dimentionally from 1260 to 300pixels. and used the attach file at bottom link. to upload directly.

Jpg quality 80%

Not a clue. anyone?
          did you get a brake plate with it?
          Attached Files

Comment

No brake plate, what you see is what I got. Another pic (hopefully)...
            Attached Files

Comment

the hub maybe, possibly, faint glimmer of hope, perhaps, potentially, wild guess, could be a 1937-45 IND Chief. Laced into an 18" brit rim.

and if it's not, and you toss it up on ebay - you'll certainly hear about it.

Comment

The rim looks quite similar to an 18" HD rim, and everything looks original. I was thinking along the same lines, that it could possibly be something Indian, but I know less about Indians than I do about Harleys (and that ain't much compared to some folks I know). Anyone care to take a stab at it??

Comment

If you want to hear from someone who knows a little about this wheel, I'm your man. I know as little as anybody. It looks British to me. I think a Harley or Indian rim of that age would have had the taper sided beads, that rim looks more straight sided like a British rim. The protrusion on the hub has two slots and looks like it would mate up well with a Smiths speedometer drive. The Indian slots were very shallow and just used as a starting point to dig out the retaining ring. The five bolts holding the drum on are odd, most hubs are six or eight. Maybe look around the rim and see if it's marked "Dunlop" or "Jones".

Comment

Thanks for the input. I don't recall seeing any markings on the rim, but I'll definitely take another look.

Comment

I had a wheel like that I sold at Eustis this year. Knowing nothing about 45's, I assumed it was a 45 wheel until I tried to sell it to my buddy and he thought it was something British. I think Kojack may be correct.

Comment

Looks Brit to me..............

Comment

OK, if we assume it's a british wheel, can we narrow it down any more i.e. make & year?

Comment

AJS or Matchless
                            The axle size determines whether it is a rigid or a swing-arm rear wheel

Comment

I'm out of town right now, when I get home tomorrow I'll measure the bearing I.D. to determine what size axle it takes, as well as look at the rim again for any identification. Thanks for the replies!!

Comment

Working...
                              X