"Flat Out! The Rollie Free Story"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Flat Out! The Rollie Free Story"

"Flat Out! The Rollie Free Story" will be published late this year. The 9 x 12 book will have 192 pages and 244 pictures, and will come with a 40-minute audio CD. The CD includes 34 minutes of the Rollie Free interview. Also recorded are the runup of the Ed Kretz Sr. Indian Sport Scout racer tuned by Free and the runup of the fabled "Bathing Suit Bike". Ed Kretz and Herb Harris provide commentary on the two historic motorcycles associated with Rollie Free. The book price has not yet been determined.

Jerry,
    From the draft copy I saw at Davenport last year, this is one book, as with the rest of yours, that I will no doubt be looking forward all year to buying. Thank you for investing the time and effort to preserve this story.

Comment

Hopefully the Harley bashing is kept to a minimum. I respect Rollie Free for what he accomplished and his passion for Indians but from what I have read, he had an almost psychotic hatred of Harley Davidson.

Comment

Like the Hatfields versus the McCoys, for some of the Harley/Indian era the rivalry was more serious than we can understand. Free was not alone in his passion.

For instance, if you were an Indian rider passing through Big Spring, Texas, you might have parked in front of the Harley shop while you went inside to buy a quart of oil. You would've been informed that to buy a quart of oil you would first have to ride your Indian around to the back of the shop. Only Harleys were allowed to park out front.

Then we have the well known Harley-Davidson custom of leaving out the brand name of rival bikes when reporting racing results; for example: 1. Harley-Davidson; 2. _______; 3. ______

It's just a fact that in a two-brand world some resented their competition. As to softening up the Harley/Indian rivalry, that wouldn't be history and it wouldn't be Rollie Free.

Comment

It's no different today. I have to park the Henderson between the Buell and the Hondas to keep them from fighting. :-)

Comment

Their is absolutely nothing wrong with a physcotic hatered of Harley-Davidson. It should be considered patriotic. hee-hee....

Or for an Indian dealer to buy a 36 knuck and place it in his shop to tell his customers that someone traded it in for a Chief.

Good times!!!! hee-hee...

Comment

I can't wait to hear this story! Jerry, please keep us posted........

Comment

"Flat Out! The Rollie Free Story" is now on sale via U.S. Mail. I will also be selling at Davenport at spot K23. E-mail me for description and price.

Comment

Oops! Left out my e-mail address: beemer73@sbcglobal.net

Comment

After selling at Davenport, I will be in England for a short visit. So there will be a delay for any orders received in the period August 28 through September 12.

Comment

Seems like the Indian postings go up, and the H-D postings go down, in the summertime. Could the reason be that the Harley guys are out riding, whilst the others...........?
                      Mike

Comment

Dear Portagepan,

I don't think your theory holds up. I rode my Harley Saturday and Sunday.

Comment

Jerry, I received my copy and it is a stunning volume indeed. Thank you.
                          While looking through my old racing posters the other day I came across an old Indian poster on which Indian did the same as Harley by leaving out the names of the opposing bikes! I was startled to see this as I had been lead to believe the propoganda that Indian was so much more honourable than Harley and didn't stoop to this. This is the first and only time I have seen this , it is a factory poster . I'll have a look and see what Henderson/Excelsior did. I can send you a jpg of it if you want. Cheers, Barry

Comment

Hi Barry,

Glad you like the book. I don't think "honor" had anything to do with Indian normally including the names of vanquished motorcycles in racing announcements. I think Indian did this for two reasons. First, it was, after all, the normal thing to do. Second, post 1925 or so Indian was only selling one-third of the new motorcycles in America. Maybe it was good politics to treat Harley enthusiasts with some respect. They might buy an occasional quart of oil or an after-market accessory, and, most of all, perhaps a Harley rider could be turned into an Indian rider.

Harley-Davidson, as the dominant manufacturer, didn't need to evangilize but only to hold onto what they had.

I've found one exception to the general Harley-Davidson policy of leaving competition bikes names "blank" on the results. I have a WWII "Enthusiast" which lists all the competing bikes in the race results. Of coures, this was a restrospective article about "the good ole days" of the board track era. Still, I wonder if the "Enthusiast" writer got in trouble about the article.

Comment

Jerry,

My name is Ed Hatfield originally from Kansas City, MO. My family is part of the good ole boy network in VA. We're ralated to the nasty sheriff that was part of the big fued. I'm a new member to AMCA and just happened to see your name on a posting. Looked your name up on Google and found your websites on the book....Good stuff, even if I'm a Harley guy......I do love the Indian styling too. Just thought I'd drop a line due to the last name..... Probably no relation but I always send out a line to a fellow Hatfield....

Comment

Working...
                              X