Spring 2007 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring 2007 Issue

I've been enjoying the Spring 2007 issue that arrived just before 15" of new snow arrived!

What I can't figure out is how Fritz got his picture on both the front cover AND the back cover? That's gotta be a first. Kinda looks like he's lapping the magazine, don't it?

Good insides too.

The early drag racing article is interesting. Very nice photos too. Who ever gets tired of looking at Knuckleheads? Not me! Seems that the Harley-Petrali 1937 Daytona record bike fits into this story somehow. Part 2 perhaps?

The Vegas Auction prices took my breath away. $230,000 for a Crocker? Yikes! I just talked with a guy who paid $75 for a Croaker, er, Crocker, although not lately....

The German museums piece was good too. They had a quite a motorcycle industry of their own but one most of us aren't too aware of outside of BMW and a few others. But I was under the impression the original wooden-frame Daimler boneshaker "motorcycle" (4-wheels?) had been destroyed too and all them today are replicas. Maybe I'm wrong as the article seemed to state otherwise. One old German machine I liked was the 350cc Shuttoff (p. 60). Looks kinda familiar, don't it?

I wonder if the mystery 1937 German Harley advertising might be Austrian? (p.61). But I'm sure Fritz has looked into that possibility. It almost looks like "Molenaar Harley-Davidson" stamped on that brochure and Hammond, Ind. would be correct. That seems like a clue, but I'm not sure exactly how.

I had to smile when I saw the ed. note in the Ex OHC "Rebirth" article: "Thanks to restorers we now have 26 of the original 21 Harley 8-valve racers."

It's a miracle!

The Indian Torque piece was interesting too. I had a so-called "Scout" 1949 Indian vertical twin at one time. Didn't keep it long tho and never missed it.

Haven't read the FN article yet but it looks to have some meat in it and about a very interesting early job imported into the USA. Advanced 4-cylinder shaft-drive design. Jeez, sounds like my "new" '85 K100 BMW, which, incidently, kinda looks like the brick-like 4-Zylinder Windhoff on p.60. Hmmmm.....

Good issue all around!

I too am enjoying the spring issue. The F-N article is interesting, however, I was somewhat suprised there was no mention of accessories sold by F-N. An F-N folding backrest and tandem seat are featured in the 1918-1919 Harley-Davidson accessory catalog and were sold by the motor company well into the 1920's.--Michael

Comment

37 MYSTERY BROCHURE

I CAN SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE MYSTERY OF THE '37 BROCHURE SINCE I USED TO OWN IT . THE STORY GOES AS FOLLOWS: A BIKE RIDING G.I. WHO WAS A CUSTOMER OF HARRY MOLENAAR WAS IN THE ARMY DURING WWII. HE FOUND THIS IN HOLLAND AND SENT IT TO HARRY AS A SOUVENIR. I TOOK IT OUT OF THE ORIGINAL ENVELOPE THE G.I. SENT TO HARRY. I BOUGHT IT AND LIKE EVERY GOOD DEALER HARRY DIDN'T LET ANY ADVERTISEMENT LEAVE HIS SHOP WITHOUT HIS STAMP ON IT. I STILL HAVE THE G.I.'S LETTER AND ENVELOPE HERE SOMEWHERE AND THAT'S THE END OF THAT STORY. ALSO, THE WLDR BOTTOM END THAT FRITZ CAMPAIGNS SO NICELY CAME OUT OF HARRY'S MOLENAAR'S YOUNGER BROTHER ALBERT'S SHOP. I'M GLAD TO SEE FRITZ GETS SO MUCH WELL DESERVED ENJOYMENT OUT OF IT.

Comment

Re: 37 MYSTERY BROCHURE

Originally posted by BNSONS
        I CAN SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE MYSTERY OF THE '37 BROCHURE SINCE I USED TO OWN IT . THE STORY GOES AS FOLLOWS: A BIKE RIDING G.I. WHO WAS A CUSTOMER OF HARRY MOLENAAR WAS IN THE ARMY DURING WWII. HE FOUND THIS IN HOLLAND AND SENT IT TO HARRY AS A SOUVENIR. I TOOK IT OUT OF THE ORIGINAL ENVELOPE THE G.I. SENT TO HARRY. I BOUGHT IT AND LIKE EVERY GOOD DEALER HARRY DIDN'T LET ANY ADVERTISEMENT LEAVE HIS SHOP WITHOUT HIS STAMP ON IT. I STILL HAVE THE G.I.'S LETTER AND ENVELOPE HERE SOMEWHERE AND THAT'S THE END OF THAT STORY. ALSO, THE WLDR BOTTOM END THAT FRITZ CAMPAIGNS SO NICELY CAME OUT OF HARRY'S MOLENAAR'S YOUNGER BROTHER ALBERT'S SHOP. I'M GLAD TO SEE FRITZ GETS SO MUCH WELL DESERVED ENJOYMENT OUT OF IT.
        Wow! Thanks! That explains plenty!

Can you post the contents of the G.I.'s letter? That would be very cool!

Here's one possible scenario for the brochure:

Holland was independent and neutral in the 1930s so there was no problem importing Harleys there after 1934.

Might the German-language brochure from 1937 be printed for Dutch (or other) European dealers who had German-speaking customers coming over the border to buy new Harleys?

Fritz: how did it work buying a new bike out of country and then bringing it into Germany after 1934?

Can you tell us what happened to German Harley imports after 1934 and what the new rules were?

PS: I never got around to interviewing Harry Molenaar before he died. Chicago traffic kept scaring me away. I didn't know he had a younger brother named Albert who also had a shop.

Is Albert still alive? If so, where does he live?

Comment

Herb & Friends,

german language 1937 Harley-Davidson Knucklehead Brochures in the Netherlands ? Why ?

The official Factory Brochures from the Thirties are nearly all the same Design and the European Importers order it in the Country Language.

A US Motorcyle GI in around 1942 send a 1937 German Brochure from the Netherlands to Harry Molenaar in the US and he later stamp it ? Maybe ?

A German can not buy a new Harley-Davidson Motorcycle in 1936, 1937 and up !

Austria ? Same Language - yes !
          But one 37 (Police) Knuckle in the whole Country . . . .
          and maybe one Brochure ?

Germany has not one 37 Knuckle but Brochures ? Why ?

I know that a complete 36 Knucklehead Motorcycle comes 1936-37 from Maastrich/NL over the "green Border" to Aachen/Germany - yes !

This was the Knuckle-Sidehack Racer from Paul Weyres

In the Netherlands some 36 and 37 Knuckles are sold
          Also 3 to Czechoslowakia

In Germany Brochures, official Ads, etc. with the Name: "Davidson" on it was from the Nazis from 1934-up forbitten.

All Advertisements in the Motorrad Magazine says:

Harley-Teile (Harley-Parts) and not Harley-Davidson Teile (Harley-Davidson Parts) and the Business for the 8 official Import-Dealers was over. No Imports.

The Munich Dealer Kaspar Haberl used a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle at the Racetrack and the Program says: Haberl Special!

Only Paul Weyres can ride his Harley's official in the Races -
          he won four times the german mastership, he was to much popular that the nazis could do anything against him.

They offer him to change as Factory Racer in a German Team but he says always NO!

Still waiting for the Spring Issue 07

Fritz

Hope to see you guys in Dinkelsbühl, Germany this Year

Fritz
          www.harleysons.de

Comment

I'LL SEE IF I CAN DIG IT UP, IT WILL BE A TASK.
            SORRY TO SAY ALBERT HAS ALSO PASSED ON BUT HE CONTINUED TO LEAD A GOOD LIFE LONG AFTER HE CLOSED UP HIS SHOP, SOUTHSIDE HARLEY-DAVIDSON,(CHICAGO) IN THE EARLY 70's.
            REMEMBERING THEIR STORIES TO HEARING THEIR LAUGHS I DON'T THINK THEY'LL EVER REALLY BE GONE TO ME.
            FROM HOW HARRY PERSUADED THE FACTORY AFTER 3 YEARS OF TRYING TO GET HIS FRANCHISE IN '33 TO AL'S ROAD TRIP OUT WEST STOPPING AT MOTEL AFTER MOTEL TRYING TO FIND A ROOM WITH NO LUCK. SO HE JUST BOUGHT THE MOTEL, ROOM INCLUDED.

Comment

REPLY TO HARLEYSON'S:

THIS IS WHY I NEVER REPLY ON THESE FORUMS. I WASN'T TRYING TO UPSET YOU BY SHEDDING SOME LIGHT ON YOUR 37 ??MYSTERY?? BROCHURE. I'M TELLING YOU WHAT I SAW AND READ WITH MY OWN EYES AND YOU CHOOSE NOT TO BELIEVE IT. ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME THAT I DIDN'T SEE HARRY STAMP IT IN FRONT OF ME WITH MY OWN EYES? I WAS TRYING TO HELP YOU OUT AND LET YOU KNOW WHERE IT CAME FROM. HAD YOU ASKED WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT FROM ME ON EBAY I WOULD HAVE TOLD YOU THEN. MAYBE NOTHING, YOU JUST GO ON BELIEVING WHAT YOU WANT TO BELIEVE. I'M DONE WITH THIS FORUM.

Comment

BSNSONS--Please do not let one persons opinions or comments keep you from contributing to these forums!!! You will find many agreeing and disagreeing opinions here, and that is what the forum is for, an exchange of ideas. Harley-Davidson Motor Company would sell to anyone that would buy their products especially during the Depression. The item that you have and/or had is evidence in itself that the brochure is real and genuine. Harley sold tooling , blueprints and other production items to the Japanese in the 1930's to produce their own knockoffs. Please continue to contribute and do not let one persons comments keep you from doing so. From what I can tell, you have much to add to this forum. I still have people wanting to debate me that H-D seats and saddlebags were originally sewn with white thread!!!!!---Michael

Comment

BNSONS

I agree with Paquette. Please stick around. People get mad at me too sometimes, but it only shows how sincerely and passionately they love authentic old time Harley-Davidson. Around here it isn't just about shiny chrome or tattoos!

If that G.I.'s letter to Harry is too deeply buried that's okay. But it might contain a clue to help us explain this mystery.

Sorry to hear that both Albert and Harry are gone. Those old time Harley dealers were a breed unto themselves and we won't see their likes again. I'm glad you knew the Molenaars and any other stories you have about them I'd love hearing them.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Harleyson's
                    Herb & Friends,

german language 1937 Harley-Davidson Knucklehead Brochures in the Netherlands ? Why ?

The official Factory Brochures from the Thirties are nearly all the same Design and the European Importers order it in the Country Language.

A US Motorcyle GI in around 1942 send a 1937 German Brochure from the Netherlands to Harry Molenaar in the US and he later stamp it ? Maybe ?

A German can not buy a new Harley-Davidson Motorcycle in 1936, 1937 and up !

Austria ? Same Language - yes !
                    But one 37 (Police) Knuckle in the whole Country . . . .
                    and maybe one Brochure ?

Germany has not one 37 Knuckle but Brochures ? Why ?

I know that a complete 36 Knucklehead Motorcycle comes 1936-37 from Maastrich/NL over the "green Border" to Aachen/Germany - yes !

This was the Knuckle-Sidehack Racer from Paul Weyres

In the Netherlands some 36 and 37 Knuckles are sold
                    Also 3 to Czechoslowakia

In Germany Brochures, official Ads, etc. with the Name: "Davidson" on it was from the Nazis from 1934-up forbitten.

All Advertisements in the Motorrad Magazine says:

Harley-Teile (Harley-Parts) and not Harley-Davidson Teile (Harley-Davidson Parts) and the Business for the 8 official Import-Dealers was over. No Imports.

The Munich Dealer Kaspar Haberl used a Harley-Davidson Motorcycle at the Racetrack and the Program says: Haberl Special!

Only Paul Weyres can ride his Harley's official in the Races -
                    he won four times the german mastership, he was to much popular that the nazis could do anything against him.

They offer him to change as Factory Racer in a German Team but he says always NO!

Still waiting for the Spring Issue 07

Fritz

Hope to see you guys in Dinkelsbühl, Germany this Year

Fritz
                    www.harleysons.de
                    Danke Fritz!

I hope you get the new issue soon. Es ist sehr gut!

IMO, What you said there pretty much agrees with my "theory" and the excellent information that BNSONS provided about the brochure, the G.I., and old Harry stamping it.

If Harley motorcycles could not be imported into Germany from 1936 and up then it's logical that Harley might have printed up some German-language brochures for their Dutch distributor. That way, any German enthusiast who just HAD to have a Harley could take the train across the border into Holland and buy one there. Did that work? Were any Knuckleheads, etc. bought in Holland by German citizens and then smuggled(?) back into Germany or maybe kept outside the country? I don't know that. But Paquette is right. Harley-Davidson would do just about ANYTHING to sell a bike in the 1930s! If somebody had suggested: Dress like clowns and stand on your heads to sell an extra bike I bet they would have had Arthur do it!

We know the brochure exists. It is authentic. It is printed in the German language when there were import restrictions to Germany. It was found in (neutral) Holland.

What other logical explanation is there?

I'm also hoping that the G.I.'s letter to Harry might help further explain the circumstances in which the brochure was acquired. Names? Town?

Also: Wasn't it from neutral Holland that Harley-D acquired the BMW when they were producing the rip-off BMW copy XA?

They had good contacts there!

Somewhere in my "bike data" files I think I have a list of foreign dealers where some late 30s 61 OHVs were shipped. I'll try to find it and see what Euro dealers & countries show up.

Sehr interesant!
                    (Very interesting!)

Comment

i have to agree this is the best issue in quite sometime! I still dont like combining certain meets but what the hey!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X