weird stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird stuff

ok guys if ya look up in the practicing section youll see i pulled a peter pan peanut butter jar out of one of my chiefs cylinders.now im real curious,i wonder what some of the weirdest stuff you all have run into in all your years of working on old bikes?while changing the neck bearings in my 48 i found a original screwdriver in the downtube .it took me hours to get out. wonder if it came from the factory like that .did someone on the assembly line drop it in there on purpose knowing it may be found some day?

There's a web site that goes over in detail the deceptive practices of a particular european vintage bike vendor, as seen in the sale of a BMW R12. In this expose, The Best R12 in the World, there's an amazing discovery. I don't want to spoil it for you, if you want to read through and enjoy the surprise of it. However, if you're the impatient type, you can follow this link:

http://histor.ws/bestr12/15.htm

and go down about half way.

Comment

pic

peter pan jar found in a chief cylinder
      Attached Files

Comment

My 23JDCA 808 was stored back East for a loooong time. Fellow I bought it from said his father bought it in the 1930's to power an ice sled. (There is was a hub for this and I have see a car mag report of a three-wheeled pusher, with the driver in the prop wash.) Anyway, I bought the motor and started by trying to free it up; no need to rebuild if it would run? Lots of oil and carefully working the crank around one way, then back the other. Took several months as I was doing other things. Finally got it to a point where it wouldn't go any further. I pulled the inlet housing and peeked in there at a long, low angle. All was dark. So I fashioned a hook out of coat hanger ...and started pulling out about one-fourth of an old carpet! ...nicely oil-soaked so I didn't worry about breathing the dust. Apparently a mouse had built a home in there ...and left. ...bill

Comment

I read a story in Classic Bike Magazine a few years ago about a used bike the writer had purchased from a dealer. As the new owner rode it home it began to smoke more and more. After he got home and shut it down it kept smoking. He tore apart the offending cylinder and found a wooden piston that someone had carved and installed. The dealer took care of it.

Comment

i wonder how many b.t.u,s per mile he got?

Comment

Working...
            X