Henderson Police Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henderson Police Bike

This is a picture of my friend Bob's mother on a Quincy Illinois police bike. Her name was Martha (Mattie) Schrage. She was born in Missouri in 1870. I'm not sure what year the picture was taken but as the bike appears clean and undamaged I would suspect it was taken in the same year as the bike was manufactured. I'm guessing somewhere between 1923 and 1926. Can anyone identify the year?

Year Henderson

This is a 1927 Henderson. Skirted frontfender and horn on top of fender, no frontbrake that would have indicated an 1928.
    Real nice photo.
    sveger

Comment

27 Henderson

I know that most four cylinders were very expensive in the day, and being in the depression years, this would be a very expensive purchase for the city. Bob said that Quincy being a river port had quite a few industry's located there. His father was a sellsman with the stove foundry. Must have been a good job in the late 1800's & early 1900's.

Comment

Her hat is a hoot! Thanks for sharing a great photo!

Comment

It's great that guys can ID bikes like this for people. Very cool.

Here's my take.

Photo taken approx 1928. Mr. Schrage has a patrolman buddie who has dropped in on his rounds earily Sunday afternoon with one of Quincys' new Hederson Motorcycles. That of which the city may have purchased 2-3. Revenue rolling into the city from it's many local industries. The bleek economic times ahead have not been forseen. Life is good on the farm! Happy days indeed. Martha being the good sport and sweetie that she is - agrees to pose for a photograph on the beautiful blue new motorcycle. Mr. Schrage excited to try out his new camera!

Ya, OK, I'm a bit of a romantic sometimes. All good fun! Thank you for shareing the photo. Made my day.

Comment

Great shot! As Sverre noted the bike is a 1927 DeLuxe. There were some cosmetic changes mid season and this bike is a late 1927 so I'd date the picture spring or summer 1927. I'd love to get a larger scan of it if that is possible ... Perry

Comment

Late '27. The streamliner was less than two years away and Excelsior would once again show Indian and Harley Davidson how it was done. The Great Depression started on Black Friday in October of 1929 so this motorcycle was born in the jazz age.

Comment

henderson

Sorry my mistake I was thinking black Fri. was in 1927 I stand corrected. as for a larger scan e-mail me at garret_e@bellsouth.net Please mention Henderson so that i will open the e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                X