Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: picture of stamp

Originally posted by silentgreyfello
    I guess you are right. I shouldn't get so hacked off about a 1-1/2" x 1" stamp bonded with glue that is so tough that when I try to pull the stamp off, it pulls the leather from the seat with it. Oh yeah, I paid close to 400 bones to have it covered. I wish it was as inconspicuous as the previous picture of the seat with the steel pan. The guy should be glad you can hardly see it. Mine is in the MIDDLE of the seat. But, on a $80,000 bike, I guess I shouldn't let a small wart like this bother me. My appologies to all, including Howard. I now see and feel how others do and it doesn't bother me. I will now be proud of my bike because it has a Heilman seat on it. Here is a picture of the frog that now is my princess.
    Silent:

Can we see a photo of the entire Princess so we can all fall in love with her?

Comment

HC it is a shame that all bicycles are made somewheres beside the U.S. As a child we had a few shops in the area and it was a fond memory I have of dreaming of owning a new shinny schwinn,sometimes I just dont understand how things changed so much so fast!

Comment

economically because the labor wage in china is five bucks a day.

On an up note - high end mountain bike frames are engineered, and manufactured in small batches in my local area. You pay for top quality.

A Heilman stamp. That's quality.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with being proud of your work, but I have to agree with silentgreyfello, that label is just plain tacky.

Comment

Paul all I can is your right!

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT
              HC it is a shame that all bicycles are made somewheres beside the U.S. As a child we had a few shops in the area and it was a fond memory I have of dreaming of owning a new shinny schwinn,sometimes I just dont understand how things changed so much so fast!
              I know what you mean INLINE, I used to LOVE going to the Schwinn bicycle shop when I was a kid. All those shiny new bikes! I loved them! Anything on two wheels!

There were two Schwinn dealers in Racine. One also had model airplane kits and stuff and was more of a total hobby shop and seemed cooler at the time. The other one was smaller old fashioned bicycle shop with a proprietor who didn't seem all that friendly, but probably was the more interesting guy and today I wonder if he possibly had a motorcycle background?

Some early motorcycle dealers did go back to just selling bicycles. In Milwaukee Emil Kasten was a very early guy selling bicycles in the 1890s and then was the pioneer Excelsior dealer there and later an Indian dealer. But they kept going out of business on him so he ended up back as a Schwinn bicycle dealer on the south side. Up to a couple years ago his son still owned that Schwinn bicycle shop. Another old time old fashioned place. The son was in his 80s and I tried looking him up but was not successful as he was in Florida and I never followed up.

Comment

Here's a side note to Schwinn. Richard Schwinn, Ignatz' great grandson, started another bicycle company a few years ago. The family lost control of their name for bicycle building so the new company is called Waterford. http://www.waterfordbikes.com/2005/d...ford/index.php

Comment

KOJACK,
                  Thank you for some interesting reading! Didnt have a clue but its all good news !
                  Harley Creation
                  I grew up in the industrial heart of Maine with two large cities (by Maine standards) on either side of the Androscoggin River,both cities had a Schwinn Shop both were strickly Bikes and related items one of the owners was very friendly and the shop was at the time much older than the other,(AUBURN MAINE) on the other side of the river the man was also old but a disabled WWII Vet and a MC nut, he always had a new HD right up till he was well in his late sixties,he was a blast and we would hang around the store for as long as we liked with no problem,also in town was a family run HD dealer that had been in the same family from 1922,we did alot of hanging around there as well,both places were by todays standard small but to a young boy they were larger than life ! Which I guess brings me to a point isnt it funny that everything today has to be so big and cold, I dont always think big is always better. I know Im rambling here so Ill stop !

Comment

I'm sorry but am I missing something here? What do bicycycles have do do with motorcycle seats, except for the very early models of motorcycles that by necessity had to use bicycle seats. You know just wondering. I for one would like to see a pic of the $400 Heilman seat---M

Comment

Originally posted by Paquette
                      I'm sorry but am I missing something here? What do bicycycles have do do with motorcycle seats, except for the very early models of motorcycles that by necessity had to use bicycle seats. You know just wondering. I for one would like to see a pic of the $400 Heilman seat---M
                      You're right and that's why I started a new bicycle thread.

Comment

Sorry , a glued on tab with an embossed mark would piss me off, too. PR's example is one thing, that tab doesn't even look square cut. I'd break out a razor blade and start shaving, but my stuff isn't high dollar.

Comment

Working...
                        X