No announcement yet.

Heilman seats $%#@

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One amusing thought occurred to me today about this thread is the other side of the coin. I am talking about the people that consider themselves fiercely independant and go for no promotions, yet they cover themselves with tattoos, t-shirts jewelry, pants, jackets, boots, and plaster bumper stickers over their vehicles promoting their favorite brand of motorcycle. In effect they are getting the same treatment as a Heilman saddle, but in this case it is self inflicted.
    All advertisement.
    And they pay for the stuff too!
    Come to think of it, I am going out to my garage tonight and paint my name on every square inch of my bikes. I am sick of looking at the original brand names and advertising for them in spite of the fact that they no longer exist.
    Even the staunchest opponent in this thread has to see a little irony and humor in these thoughts.
    Peace.

Comment

Once something is recovered its RECOVERED not OEM not original manufacture so personally I dont have a problem with a tag on any part period !! if it is rechromed its rechromed that MC or car or whatever doesnot have the same value to me as one that just came out of a NOS box ! man you people really cut hairs in two! But thats just me

Comment

I love Colgate toothpaste but I don't have their T-shirt and I certainly wouldn't tatoo Colgate on my neck. Most disturbing in the past 35 years is aligning ones self with a corporate logo. We have all been ****ers for popular culture because it's only natural for people to want to feel like they're part of something, but being a shill for some money grubbing corporation goes off my moral compass. The ultimate indignity to me is tatoos. Man ! Is that getting pointless. When you see a preacher with "Live to Pray" tatooed on his arm, or somebodys granny with a tramp stamp, I'd say that fad is dead.

Comment

I think I need a nap.

Comment

As I understand it, silentgreyfello paid Mr Heilman to recover his seat to an original specification. That should not include a Branded Heilman name or tag on the leather seat in any place.

If silentgrefello purchased a seat straight from a Heilman catalog, then it would be reasonable for him to expect Mr Heilmans name might appear somewhere on the seat, and then, one might only expect a decal/sticker that would peel right off.

What might seem superficial or unimportant to one person, could just be a pet peeve to another. I'm sure that saddle was not cheap.

This to me is a fine example of the need to ask questions when purchasing this type of service, so that you know exactly what your getting for your money.

Oh and yes...I wear Harley T-shirts and have S&S and Champion Spark Plug stickers and such on my vehicles and tool boxes...yeah I like and use some of their products....But the truth be told.... its because I still think think I'm 9 years old...and who didn't put cool stickers on their slot car boxes and school book covers when they were 9 to impress the girls....

...and I guess the fact that I run open drag pipes goes back to when I used to put balloons and baseball cards in my Huffy 'Stingray' bike's spokes......Yes Huffy...I'll admit it...my family couldn't afford to buy me a Schwinn 'Orange Crate'......But the Huffy was AMERICAN MADE.....so there.... Hrdly

Comment

well, my first bike was one that I built at the local dump in the third grade. You sound pretty priviliged , hrdley. Zokay though, I work with far worse.

Comment

Oh brother....next your gonna tell us you had to ride to school up hill both ways..... Hrdly

Comment

Sorry for divulging a bit of my past. I somehow forget that the internet is a ring of liars.

Comment

For those wondering what all the fuss is about, here's a link to a post with a photo of a Heilman marked seat. To the best of my knowledge he's marked his seats in this manner for at least the past dozen or more years ... Perry

Comment

and Heathers Leathers uses the little bird.

Comment

So after Perrys Post I ask again what the hey is the problem here ??? If this is all I had to complain about in life Im sure Id check myself!!!! Happy Ridding one and all

Comment

Thanks for the link Perry............All this fuss for a stamp you can't even see unless your laying on the ground? Ya'll lighten up and go for a ride...........

Comment

Not a problem for us....but it seems to be a problem for the silentgreyfelo...the man who paid for it.

Sometimes its the little things that piss us off....

Hrdly

Comment

picture of stamp

I guess you are right. I shouldn't get so hacked off about a 1-1/2" x 1" stamp bonded with glue that is so tough that when I try to pull the stamp off, it pulls the leather from the seat with it. Oh yeah, I paid close to 400 bones to have it covered. I wish it was as inconspicuous as the previous picture of the seat with the steel pan. The guy should be glad you can hardly see it. Mine is in the MIDDLE of the seat. But, on a $80,000 bike, I guess I shouldn't let a small wart like this bother me. My appologies to all, including Howard. I now see and feel how others do and it doesn't bother me. I will now be proud of my bike because it has a Heilman seat on it. Here is a picture of the frog that now is my princess.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hrdly-Dangrs

...and I guess the fact that I run open drag pipes goes back to when I used to put balloons and baseball cards in my Huffy 'Stingray' bike's spokes......Yes Huffy...I'll admit it...my family couldn't afford to buy me a Schwinn 'Orange Crate'......But the Huffy was AMERICAN MADE.....so there.... Hrdly
                                Way off topic, I know, but wasn't Huffy the old Huffman Manf. Co. that build heavyweight v-twin motorcycles in the teens? I'm thinking maybe the Dayton motorcycle wasn't it?

Not a bad background, although as I remember those same years of bicycles as you, the Huffy did fall apart and was easier to break then the welded frame tough-as-nails Schwinn which I always had.

Speaking of bicycles not long ago I ran across a 1960s "Columbia" Westfield, Mass. (or Conn.?) which was the old Pope firm. When I saw that headbadge I thought: Such lost greatness.

Comment

Working...
                                X