Heilman seats $%#@

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heilman seats $%#@

I just got a seat back from Heilman. He autographed it with his own stamp in the leather on MY seat!

What next... painters signing the fenders and tanks, stripers painting their girlfriend's initials, mechanics stamping their birthdate on the cases, platers putting encripted codes in the chrome? The bikes will look like a Nascar ride!

Anyone know of anybody else that does nice work AND is not so vain that they have to sign their work?

The seats I have had done by Mr Heilman never came back like that! Maybe you should contact him and have a talk to him about it? I guess we are all differant but he does in my opinion do a fine job,and I wouldnt be offended by him putting his mark on the seat,years from now when he isnt with us that seat maybe worth more than you think,but hey thats just my take!

Comment

Heilman, in my opinion, is the best in the business. He puts his stamp in a discreet location. It is nice because it identifies the part. Some not so honest people will take a saddle and patina it in to match their "original paint" bike. This helps somebody to know what they are getting. Howard has always been a stickler for authenticity and will only do saddles he knows to the best of his knowledge to be correct. One has to admire a craftsman with such high standards.

Comment

Read the comments in the Vendors Rated section about Worsham Castle Cycle Leather--------

Comment

seats

i like howard alot and have known him for over 30 years,and do agree that he knows his seats,unfortunatly in later years the quality and eveness of his work has suffered,do to the fact that he may not be personally doing all the work himself and some of his help are not so talented.check with chuck at the saddle shop,in florida,very nice quality ,and much quicker turn around.he advertises in the club mag.

Comment

"INLINE4NUT" and "inrustwetrust" are right. Heilman is a real craftsman who we have used for 15 years. At least be man enough to call him with your complaint, instead of writing little comments about him behind his back.

Comment

I have been "man enough" to talk to him... I just wish I would have known before sending my seat there. I have never said one bad word about the quality... it is first rate. I just don't want vendors to autograph my stuff. If you want them to sign yours, go right ahead. I'll just go to someone else. Thanks for the leads on other leather guys.

Comment

I like Howard and I think he is a fine craftsman but I don't think reproduction parts should have any promotional identification.

Comment

So there you go.... Never put your name on a restoration, or expect acknowledgement for your work.

Comment

"Expect acknowlegement of your work?" You surely must be kidding! I could understand an "attaboy" if you are doing the work for free, but a paid professional shouldn't need their ego stroked... sorry! And they shouldn't throw advertising on someone else's bike at that person's expense!

Comment

I don't know about you, but I can't tell you how many "B" marks I've ground off Buchanan spokes.

Comment

Since this thread is continueing to be "an expression of opinions" heres mine......I have had the benefit of having a few seats restored by Howard. Always a great piece of craftsmanship at a fair price. Nice with him having a supply of hardware for those little missing or worn parts. The last seat he restored for me did have the little tag under the seat. It caught my eye as being the first time i had seen it. I have not called to inquire, as the seat is on a "restored" bike and the tag is not obvious to the casual observer. It is a "change" in the product provided. I look at it same as someone putting their business name on the inside of a reproduction inner primary cover or bottom side of a gas cap. Different....New....but an acceptable thing on a "restored" bike if the product is accurate. As presented in the Vendors section of this forum, we have other vendors who are getting very favorable reports. Options are wonderful and should be explored. Change is the only thing certain.
                        johnny

Comment

JWW, point well taken and change WILL happen,but Im oldfashion and have a REAL hard time changin! Thanks for the reminder !

Comment

There's nothing wrong with being able to identify repro parts by an inconspicuous mark, stamp or tag. Not expecting it is an issue; some parts can accommodate a mark, others cannot. Eventuallly, killer repops are passed as OEM....buyer beware always plays.

Comment

On a new custom part or a new re-production...not a problem........

But unacceptable when the part is being repaired or re-upholstered to an as 'Original' specification....especially if the craftsman is 'advertising' his work to 'as original or original specification.

The customer can reasonably expect his item then to be 'As Original...or in this case sans the modern craftsmans signature or tag. Hrdly

Comment

Working...
                              X