Building more value into a Knucklehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building more value into a Knucklehead

I'm curious about some pictures that I've seen of both Knuckleheads and Panheads in auction results.
    Many of the parts that Palmers book shows to be Parkerized are in fact painted on these bikes. A number may have frame lugs that don't have the casting numbers in them. Some may be chromed in places that were originally cad plated.
    Since I haven't been to a serious auction like Mecum's Las Vegas affair in over 30 years, I haven't seen up close what's bringing in the big bucks.
    Are the higher dollar bikes the prettier bikes or the one's more correctly detailed?
    I'm not questioning Palmer's book, only the auction results from what appear to be very similar bikes in the pictures, yet vastly different prices.

Thanks
    Sam

Originally posted by samsmc1 View Post
    I'm curious about some pictures that I've seen of both Knuckleheads and Panheads in auction results.
    Many of the parts that Palmers book shows to be Parkerized are in fact painted on these bikes. A number may have frame lugs that don't have the casting numbers in them. Some may be chromed in places that were originally cad plated.
    Since I haven't been to a serious auction like Mecum's Las Vegas affair in over 30 years, I haven't seen up close what's bringing in the big bucks.
    Are the higher dollar bikes the prettier bikes or the one's more correctly detailed?
    I'm not questioning Palmer's book, only the auction results from what appear to be very similar bikes in the pictures, yet vastly different prices.

Thanks
    Sam
    Mecum in Vegas seem to bring out the buyers who like the excess chrome almost gaudy motorcycles.

Jerry

Comment

Guessing its probably similar to cars. I know the fine authentic anatomy of a particular model of classic car that has been significantly increasing in value. Several years ago I "assumed" the more authentically correct it is, the more money it should bring at these big auctions. That assumption was blown up, disintegrated, vaporized, etc, as I've seen countless examples break sales amount records (sometimes $100k over market) and I could count too many many deficiencies to list just from looking at a few pictures. So yea, as Jerry said the big auctions tend to bring out buyers that have deep pockets with little concern about authenticity, numbers matching, etc. Its most about entertainment for them and often they don't care if they pay too much. They'll run it back through the auction in a year or two and buy something else.
      Jason Zerbini
      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by samsmc1 View Post

Thanks
        Sam
        I cannot sensibly comment on auction sanity, Sam,...

But please note that many parts were park'd prior to painting, such as cylinders, footboards, etc, and can easily confuse 'experts' and critics when dealing with an un-molested machine.

Once it is "restored", its all moot anyway.

....Cotten

AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I believe it's safe to say there are a multitude of uneducated wealthy people who don't know what they are doing. The bike is shiny and they got a t-shirt that matches which gives them instant "Street Cred".

credit card biker.jpg

Comment

Several years back at Mechams there were 3 1957 Sportsters, two restored and shiny and one sweaty with original paint. The shiny ones brought around 30k and the OP one brought 10k. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS47Chief1991 View Post
              I believe it's safe to say there are a multitude of uneducated wealthy people who don't know what they are doing. The bike is shiny and they got a t-shirt that matches which gives them instant "Street Cred".
              Shopping for a new motorcycle:

commando ultimate.jpg

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten, that dude is a Rob Halford starter kit.

A wise man once said: "If you change your style of clothes to ride your motorcycle, you might be a Credit Card."

ec7b10e6c966ebf2b265c96053987221.jpg s-l1200.jpg

Comment

"not that there's anything wrong with that"
                  Tom
                  BTW,remember when the most important thing about a bike was how it ran?

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS47Chief1991 View Post
                    "If you change your style of clothes to ride your motorcycle, you might be a Credit Card."
                    I'm still planning for my very first, Folks,...

But when anyone asked me what tools to carry, I usually replied "a cell phone".

Our heritage is disappearing with our demographic; Nostalgia is dying.

The theme of the Davenport Meet was dementia, and I fit right in.

....Cotten
                    PS: I've never had a credit card either. (Thank Providence.)
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; Today, 02:06 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                    X