Male Connecting Rod - done by Harley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Male Connecting Rod - done by Harley?

I'm working on a '53 Servi-car and the male connecting rod has been apparently grounded down. I ask because I have another set of 45 rods still attached to the flywheels, that have been sitting on the shelf for 15 years or so, and that male rod has also been ground down. I was at Davenport this past week looking for 45 parts and was given a set of 45 connecting rods. The male rod had also been ground down. Does anyone know if Harley did this at the factory, or was this just the the standard practice for improving performance on a 45 back in the day? Oxymoron anyone?

Male Rod.jpg

Thanks, Lipsky

Attached are pictures of three different male connecting rods that I currently have and have had for many years. Don't know if this answers any ​ of your questions
    Attached Files

Comment

I suspect manufacturer did this due to possible casting error.

Comment

I suspect they just dressed the 'flash line' from the forging process on yours, Austy...

But Lippy's looks like it needed clearance, as if it were mated to the wrong vintage of female rod: Closed vs. open would be my armchair guess.

Its what we call an ugly stress riser; I'd 'polish and peen' and magnaflux it at least once (and demagnetize after fitting the pins of course.)

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-03-2024, 03:08 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten, for now I’m leaving them on the shelf with a copy of your comment.

Lippy

Comment

But the mystery remains, Lippy!

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
            X