1956 bmw r50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarek View Post
    I know nothing special only 1980 year but when I bought it I Mannheim in Veterama it was in very bad condition .
    After renovation I traveling cross the Europe - my the best bike for the long trips P1150511.JPG
    Hi Jarek,
    Here is my 1980 R100RS on a trip across the USA, waiting for a ferry from Bar Harbor ME to Nova Scotia CN. We are standing behind my wife's Honda VFR 800.
    DCP_0189.JPG
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Finally a thread worth reading . Ha, ha, just joking but I do love classic Beemers. Last year I picked up a 1964 R60 with the rare /2 -12 volt option (usually for police bikes) I have yet to investigate how BMW engineered that, most likely nowhere as elegantly as Peter's BTH conversion however it seems to be functioning well. The previous owner fitted a nice Steib s501 but did not attend to the bike's requirements as the bike has alloy rims and solo gearing. The sidecar will be sold. My favourite thing about the bike is the Avonaire fairing. Thanks Peter for posting all that great in depth info on your beautiful R69S. Did I ever mention to you that I did eventually acquire that front number plate for my ss100 ? Thanks for the alert on that as well. IMG_7314.jpeg

Comment

Well howdy Barry!

Just as I got thoroughly distracted with old Vespas and let open fender Indian Chiefs double in price and get out of hand, in the meantime, so with beloved Broughs, and at the link below was one of those distractions. Picture captions tell the story.
        https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...02-Steib-LS200
        Cheerio,
        Peter
        1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
          Well howdy Barry!

Just as I got thoroughly distracted with old Vespas and let open fender Indian Chiefs double in price and get out of hand, in the meantime, so with beloved Broughs, and at the link below was one of those distractions. Picture captions tell the story.
          https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...02-Steib-LS200
          Steibs are so beautiful, just wouldn't look proper on my crusty R50. I had an old Velorex on it briefly but handling was horrible-probably due to soft springs in both the bike and the car.
          r50 sc 30.jpg r50 sc 29.jpg
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Nothing wrong with a Velorex after you spend a week or 2 experimenting with the toe in, lean out etc etc .! A few of them have been running around here for decades. One chap uses his all year round. I borrowed a friend's R60 with Steib like mine pictured above and was amazed at how beautifully it handled compared with the 39 UL outfit I restored years earlier I think mostly due to the light weight . I imagine that lovely little job that Peter sent to Canada handled even better eh ? I do have 2 other sidecars, one a Brough which I will never hook up and the other on my 27 Henderson which actually is a lot of fun as it has reverse and is not too fast., but lets face it, as fun and cool as they are sidecars are ill conceived. The handling of a Mack truck with the vulnerability of a motorcycle.

Comment

Originally posted by grease monkey View Post
              ... but lets face it, as fun and cool as they are sidecars are ill conceived.
              We enjoy our own opinions, Grease!

After campaigning for decades on both two and three wheels, I must credit my hacks with not only great utilitarian enjoyment, they undoubtedly kept me alive on many occasions.

Although delightfully absurd, they are no more ill conceived than out-rigger canoes.

.....Cotten
              PS:

Canoe hack.jpg
              canoe3a.jpg
              Canoehack.jpg
              Canoe2.jpg

canoefloat.jpg
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-08-2024, 02:54 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Finally a thread worth reading . Ha, ha, just joking but I do love classic Beemers. Last year I picked up a 1964 R60 with the rare /2 -12 volt option (usually for police bikes) I have yet to investigate how BMW engineered that, most likely nowhere as elegantly as Peter's BTH conversion however it seems to be functioning well. The previous owner fitted a nice Steib s501 but did not attend to the bike's requirements as the bike has alloy rims and solo gearing. The sidecar will be sold. My favourite thing about the bike is the Avonaire fairing. Thanks Peter for posting all that great in depth info on your beautiful R69S. Did I ever mention to you that I did eventually acquire that front number plate for my ss100 ? Thanks for the alert on that as well. IMG_7314.jpeg
                Another Avonaire, however a bit rough, and a Wixom Ranger up there too, like the one in the pic!
                DCP_4090.JPG slash 2 with wixom fairings.jpg
                Last edited by Rubone; 07-08-2024, 02:39 PM.
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Howdy Robbie,

Looking at that tasty Hoske tank reminds me I paid less for my R69S in 1992ish than a good Hoske cost, an oil pump driven mechanical VDO tach and a pair of mirror/spotlight Hellas. In the late 80’s the bikes were $1500-2000 but the accessories and side cars were expensive. Nothing like an early R100 RS, I rode a first year wire wheeler, couldn’t get the ergonomics/aerodynamics right for my height no matter what bibs I fitted. Got the 1981 R100RT at the link below. Probably should have kept that one, my attitude is totally different now. A good honest simple motorcycle compared to the confounding complexity of BMW’s current offerings.
                  https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...81-BMW-R100-RT
                  Cheerio,
                  Peter

Comment

somewhere in the 40 years since this ad the originally fitted Heinrich ? fairing was changed for the Avonaire on my bike.
                    Here also is one of the last photos my friend Steve Ciccalone sent me . I understand that Pop Dreyer mastered those Flxis on the track which apparently was not easy but to ride one on the street ?
                    I would definitely make an exception if I was lucky enough to own this R47 outfit. IMG_6688.jpg IMG_0887.jpg P1050793.jpg

Comment

IMG_0182.jpeg Rubone, I had a 1977 first year ? R100RS in the early 80's and it did everything well but there is something about the clunky old slash 2's I find more appealing. In Steve Jobs biography it mentions he had a slash 2 Beemer installed in the office building foyer as an example of "quality" and hopefully inspiration to employees. Maybe it should have been a Honda ! LOL Of course he dropped a lot of acid

Comment

Howdy chaps,

In the mid 90’s a friend of mine called me, he’d just bought an extremely low mile R69S, I rode out to find the machine in the first 4 images at my Misc. BMW gallery below. His plan was to strip it down and paint it green, he was willing to part with some of it. I bought the hand hammered and numbered Heinrich Fairing which I still have along with its mint set of original 100mm mufflers. Any R69S owner knows how quickly these can rot, they are on mine now. Oddly he kept the lowers and the apron which I couldn’t fit under anyway. It later showed up at Daytona, now a solo, quite shiny in a shade of John Deer green and Akront’s, lathered with stainless to include the mufflers.

https://petergz.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/BMW/Misc-BMW
                        Cheerio,
                        Peter

Comment

IMG_0182.jpeg Rubone, I had a 1977 first year ? R100RS in the early 80's and it did everything well but there is something about the clunky old slash 2's I find more appealing. In Steve Jobs biography it mentions he had a slash 2 Beemer installed in the office building foyer as an example of "quality" and hopefully inspiration to employees. Maybe it should have been a Honda ! LOL Of course he dropped a lot of acid
                          Nice RS Barry! My '80 is a transition model so cast air box, a bit of early and late scattered around it. It is also a big bore kit, ported with light collars, triple valve springs, radilal bearings on the rocker arms, a factory sport cam, lightened flywheel, dual plugged, suspension mods, Telefix and billet top tree, etc. It still is too long and unwieldy with a hinge in the middle if pushed hard, clunky gearbox, but I still really enjoy it.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

My first foray into antique bikes-and sidecars was this CJ750 (CJ=Chinese Junk). The title read "1943 BMW", both incorrect. My first ride to get it home was "interesting" but only 9 miles . . . of twisty 2-lane, up hill from 7500 to 8800' elevation with the last 2 miles of steeper gravel/dirt road. It was fun to drive-when I could get it to run & got more attention than I wanted when it didn't run.
                            Rich
                            last day cj .jpg cj750-5.JPG
                            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
                              My first foray into antique bikes-and sidecars was this CJ750 (CJ=Chinese Junk). The title read "1943 BMW", both incorrect. My first ride to get it home was "interesting" but only 9 miles . . . of twisty 2-lane, up hill from 7500 to 8800' elevation with the last 2 miles of steeper gravel/dirt road. It was fun to drive-when I could get it to run & got more attention than I wanted when it didn't run.
                              Rich
                              last day cj .jpg cj750-5.JPG
                              Hey Rich, did you sell that CJ750 as a 43 BMW? OR have the title "fixed"? It looked cool though!!
                              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post

Hey Rich, did you sell that CJ750 as a 43 BMW? OR have the title "fixed"? It looked cool though!!
                                I was lucky, swapped it for a car with no change to the title! The buyer was aware of the title glitch & since then has sold it again.
                                Last edited by frichie68; 07-09-2024, 08:28 AM.
                                Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Working...
                                X