Eaton Gas caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eaton Gas caps

image4.jpeg image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image5.jpeg image2.jpeg I have ran across what I think is a stainless steel Eaton Gas cap. I realize they were made for many different applications. Only chrome ones have I seen on motorcycles alone have any input?
    Thanks in advance David

Last edited by indian45; 02-19-2024, 09:39 AM.

A couple of pic's would be a big help here... caps and bung depths vary, as does the clearance, so the cap doesn't scrape the tank surface. you'll have to get these measurements right ! what kind of seal is on the inside of the cap ? leather, rubber, garlock (heavy paper-like), some have a thin brass washer under the seal that sits on the bung surface. also the bung tangs must fit the cap correctly to get the seal to work as designed. Some caps just dont fit well. if your cap doesn't fit perfectly, it will be prone to leak.

I've observed gas, and sometimes oil caps are a frustrating exercise. I've found caps, just laying around, and many of them don't fit any of my Indians. I cant speak about HD, but with so many random caps "laying around"... its the same game with any brand motorcycle. Same goes for automobiles. Easton made alot of caps for various brands, both cars and bikes. A random cap is a crap shoot. Best of luck.

My experience is described above while I was searching for correct Indian vented (with a pin hole vent) The vent feature is sometimes with a pin hole (early) and sometimes an internal assembly fastened to the "rivet-like" fastener, which is mashed together when the cap is in the crimping press .

Thats the way I understand it... please, correct me if I'm wrong, and... I'm often wrong !! I do know this... caps and tanks, can be a bitch. I even have a cap that seals only when I put it on a certain way (I marked that cap with an engraving tool...) I've got a box full of caps... all bayonet. I finally rounded up the original NOS military caps, including a very nice oil cap that I needed to finish my EU Chief. Send a few pics... maybe somebody can offer another perspective. I can't help much if you have a Harley... good luck !! C2K

Comment

Working...
    X