M16 Carb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M16 Carb Question

I a reassembling an M16 nad have a question about the main jet. How far does the jet stick up into the venturi? It seems like if the two set screws are aligned on the flat sides of the jet, it only extends 1/16" past the venturi.

Or does the jet drop in all the way and the set screws simply prevent the jet from dropping out? But then it seems like the jet could rotate with the screws.

The latter was how the carb was set up and we could not get it to run right. It would idle but bog down with a load.

Thanks.

Those are not set screws, they are body plugs. Some model Linkert carbs have jets in those holes. The main nozzle in your carb should extend up into the venturi approximately 3/8 of an inch and locates in a stepped hole in the bottom of the venturi where it is held in place by the spring. You do have the spring, right? The fuel mixture for high speed is the needle marked power on the body. No main jet, just the needle to control fuel flow. Venturi must fit snug in the body also. See the flathead listing in this forum for lots of discussion on carbs and air leaks as well. Robbie

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

Fortunately I do have the spring. When I ran an m18, the motor would bog out under load. The plugs were black carbon, so we figured the carb was too big. So I went with the m16 and that is when I looked at the main jet.

I figured if they went to the trouble of machining flats on the jet, which aligned with the two set screws, it had to mean something. Apparently not for these models.

Hopefully we'll have better luck today.

Comment

Working...
      X