A long winded VL question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A long winded VL question

I have another VL related question to ask the Forum, but before I ask it let me explain where I am coming from with these VL questions. I’m currently rebuilding a nice 35 and a not so nice 32 VL. I’ve previously rebuilt a couple of 45’s so I’m familiar with Harley flatheads. I want to try and do it as correctly as possible. At the same time I’m trying to document my rebuild’s for my son, for when he gets the 2 bike’s. What I’ve also done is scanned in the 1936 Spare Parts Catalog and OCR’ed (Optical Character Recognization). It makes finding parts more easier. My end game to to build a VL specific parts catalog for my son. So I’m also redrawing a lot of parts and modifying Harley drawings from their 1948 to 1951 Spare Parts Catalogs. It’s a slow process. Maybe I’ll get it done, maybe not.

So while working on the 35 rear brake I had a thought that brought this question up. My 35 has a removable brake shoe pivot stud, part # 4058-35. In the 1936 Spare Parts it doesn’t list a lock washer, only the nut. The pivot stud’s thread is a 1/2" x 20. Neither the 1936 Spare Parts nor Steve Slocombe’s book (I have an older copy) lists any 1/2” washers. The first reference to a 1/2” lock washer that I could find was in the 1949 Spare Parts Catalog, part # 0270.

So here’s my question: Did the 1935 & 1936 VL’s have a lock washer on the pivot stud?

Sorry it took so long to get to the question. Lippy

Dear Lippy, I put 200 manhours into producing my 42 page VL parts list/price guide on sale for $10. You might want to order it with the latest (6th) edition of my VL Restoration Book. On your lock washer question I'd say yes.

Comment

I think you will not find many lock washers listed in prewar parts books..# 0250-0274.Even where you know they used them!

Comment

There are many parts that are 1936 specific and are different than 1935. (not a lockwasher obviously). I would suggest getting a 1935 spare parts catalog if you are being meticulous regarding correctness.

Comment

What happens if you install a lock washer? Is the pivot stud long enough to accommodate it properly?

Here’s a close-up of that area from a factory photo of a 35 prototype but I don’t see a lock washer on the pivot stud. If there was a lock washer wouldn’t it be visible?
          Eric

Comment

Dear Eric, the lock plate has grooves under it so maybe does not need a lock washer, but as said these are not usually mentioned in the contemporary parts books. I have two '35s here, one with a lock washer and one without. The one with the lock washer has the nut top just flush with the stud and this is a typical Harley feature, so I'd say yes to the lock washer. By the way, I would insert the brake clevis pin the other way round from the photo, so that the cotter pin is on the inside.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I realise the pivot stud plate is serrated and perhaps at first H-D didn’t think a lock washer was needed although they did later on because one is shown in my 37–49 catalog. I was wondering if a lock washer was first used for late-38 along with the change to pivot stud #4058-38 but the two 35s you mentioned have me intrigued. Does the one with the lock washer have a higher SN than the one without the washer?

Re the clevis pin, I’d do the same as you but I don’t know what the factory did, at least as far as V-series machines are concerned.

Eric

Comment

Dear Eric, both my '35s are restored, so do not help with the lock washer decision. I'm still thinking they were installed.

Comment

I've been out of town for a week and couldn't reply to HDSmitty's posting. I'm home now and did look in my 1935's Spare Parts Catalog (I have all the Spare Parts Catalogs from 1921 to 1959 plus others), page 83, and didn't see any listing for a lock washer for the brake pivot. Who will really know, if Steve doesn't?

Comment

I'll say it again,there are no lock washers shown in prewar parts books....Steve knows VLs

Comment

Working...
                    X