Shifter Lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter Lever

Hi, can anyone identify this lever please? It is 14” long and 3 and 5/8” hole centres.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files

my guess,
    J-JD

Comment

My guess is1916 -24 J models
      And if anybody is interested the 1925 to 29 Js are 4 inches between bolt holes and the1926 on singles 3 1/8 between bolt holes.
      If a mis-match of linkage bits occur you can run into all sorts of gear selection problems especially on 1925 models.
      Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
      A.M.C.A. # 2777
      Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

This shift lever is straight, no curve at all. It does not look as if it has been straightened. It is made of tough steel.

Comment

1915 HD shift lever was straight.
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark I was going to make that comment but looking at pictures of the 1915 lever it appears to have a dog leg at the bottom so I was a bit reluctant to draw that conclusion.
            Zig does it appear to have been got at anywhere along its length?
            The knob at the top certainly looks HD but it would be interesting to know if any other manufacturer used that style of knob. Does anyone know the answer to that?
            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
            A.M.C.A. # 2777
            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Clutch lever?
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I think Mark is right,1915.
                the parts book shows a double bend at the holes [out below top hole & back inline above bottom hole--not side to side]
                some of my pics of original bikes look straight
                Also the knob is different on the early bikes & yours looks like the early knob,smaller knob with indent at bottom,.not shown on parts book pic
                last pic is brighter pic you posted showing knob shape

HD 1915 parts shift lever.jpg HD 1915 postcard shift lever.jpg HD shift lever.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X