5 VL (?) Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 VL (?) Questions

On putting my 35 VL together I've run into questions that I can't find an answer too, and admittedly, some of these questions are knit-picking. I have Steve Slocombe's book and a 1936 Spare Parts Catalog (and along with numerous other Harley Spare Parts Catalogs) and can't find the answers in them.

1. Did VL's have cylinder base lock washers? The 1936 Spare Parts doesn't list them.

2. Did VL's have any type of oil screen in bottom of the cam cover?

3. When did Harley start putting a half twist in the steering damper handle?

Damper.jpg

4. When did Harley go from unslotted generator bolts to slotted ones?

Gen Bolt.jpg

and finally,

5. When did Harley start taking a bite out of their generator straps?

Gen Strap.jpg

Thanks in advance, Lippy
    Attached Files

The only one I can for sure answer is #5. The bite in the generator strap is not a year thing but the difference between OHV and SV.

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 10-13-2023, 10:01 PM.

Comment

#1 = yes, 0265 lock washer
      #4 = 'about 1935/6' according to Steve's book.

Comment

My 1935 "35VLD72**D" has the half twist on the steering damper lever and a slotted bolt holding the generator strap.
        Hope this helps
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Yes, 1935 seems to be when they started the slotted generator bolts, and also the 1123-30 manifold bolts, but these would both have been running changes. And 0265 are indeed the cylinder base nut locks. I think all the steering damper levers had the twist, so maybe the untwisted example is not finished. On the generator strap, I think the notch was put in for 1938 to give clearance for the new tool for the later style valve covers. For the cam case breather, here is part of the 1935 engine blueprint:

IMG_2602 (2).JPG

So around that later1934-1936 crankcase breather valve you have a fine brass screen round it held in with a sprung clip plate. These parts did not make it into the parts books.

Comment

I thank everyone for answering my questions.

Comment

Working...
            X