Help needed with frame identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with frame identification

I'm trying to help a friend identify this rolling chassis. Based on Palmers the neck appears to be 1936 61" and 1937 BT thru 1941. I can't find much on the rear brake stay area. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files

my guess,1936-early '37 with open rear brake stay
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 09-20-2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

But doesn't the backing plate show the stay is a round threaded piece coming through a round hole in the casting it has a nut on it? Or is it something else. Attached photo from earlier in the thread.
      Attached Files

Comment

That picture just shows a backing plate not aligned with where it goes. The locating spool for the backing plate is down by the lower SC mount hole, that isn't a "different year feature", it is merely ignorant or lazy assembly. It cannot function like that.
        Last edited by Rubone; 09-20-2023, 08:19 PM.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Just zoomed on the bigger photo I sent you, I'm sure you are right. The roundpiece coming through the lower part of the casting must be the brake shoe anchor end. I'll go back and look at Palmers again. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

So based on the neck, it should be 1936 61" and 1937 Big Twin, Per Palmers pg 27 user right of page (1st book).

Comment

If you have Palmer’s first book please look at the 36 frame on page 26 and read the caption. Notice it mentions the lack of a transmission starter cover support bracket. But your friend’s frame has that support bracket so its presence may help eliminate 1936. Also read what Palmer said about the downtubes and sidecar loops.

On the left side of the steering head it looks like the letter D? In full is the hallmark DIF? And if so is there a die number nearby? Or perhaps no die number?

Any die numbers on the axle clips?

Regarding the rear brake, it looks like the operating lever is facing the wrong way. Here’s a factory photo of one on a Panhead.
              Eric

Comment

Thanks a bunch Eric

Comment

Looks like DIF, gas tank support measures .890, could be the paint thickness making it a 1937?
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks for the photo. DIF indicates the steering head was produced by Interstate Drop Forge.

Re the lower support tube, it sounds like the early size. It is unclear when the change from 7/8” to 1” was made because in the 37–64 FE pages 26 and 536 say 38 but page 31 says late-37. In the 37–64 SE (2014) the same contradiction occurred with pages 36 and 831 saying 38 but page 42 saying late-37.

Anyway the combination of the smaller diameter lower support tube, open brake stay and transmission starter cover support bracket suggest the frame may be a 37 model, provided of course the sidecar loops are consistent with that. What do the loops look like?

Another thing to check is the grease nipple for the brake crossover shaft. Can you post a photo please.

Also look on top of the seat post forging. Some frames were sent to the factory for repair so if that happened there may be a repair number stamped on top of the forging.

And did you find die numbers on the axle clips? Photos?

Eric

Comment

So I gather this is a 37 frame. A friend that had a 38 agrees it’s a 37. Now back to palmers to see if the springer is correct. I thought if I could give him a reasonable estimate (by checking other frames, front ends etc) maybe I could point one our members to him and they might make a deal. I have not mentioned that to him yet, but I thought I could be a matchmaker and two party’s would be happy. Me too, to be able to help.

Comment

Is it for sale??

Comment

I believe it will be, I don't think he's interested in tackeling it. As I stated I haven't approached that yet.

Comment

Eric, I'm not sure what you mean on axle clips, my Pan has them as the rectangular somewhat diamond shaped lock washer. Could you explain and I will have him check. As explained I'm hoping someone from the club can benefit from all of this. I'm just trying to help a friend.

Comment

The "axle clips" as Eric is asking about are the forged plates where the axle mounts. There should be raised numbers on them.
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X