Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike/pit starters for race bikes, or just help with old bike starting, do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike/pit starters for race bikes, or just help with old bike starting, do you have?

I have some Harley race bikes and looking into these type of wheel starters to get them going easier and some have no kicker. What do you have or recommend or what should I stay away from? Don't really want to make one as it is not what I want to spend time doing.

I recently saw quite a few at Laguna Seca in the paddock during the AHRMA race. Some gas engine powered and some electric off a car battery. Even one powered by generator! Seen a new one called Bike starter for $870 2.5 kw
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

I'm not advocating anything, Knuck,...

But here's the common approach:

Roller starter1.jpg

Roller starter2.jpg

starter.jpg

One of my drag racing associates had a two-handed electric powerwrench he put on the front drive somehow; I've little doubt it was Caterpillar equipment, but I never saw it in action. I believe it became obsolete when quads became common and they could just tow you.

......Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-13-2023, 08:24 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

http://www.solodynasystems.biz/solo_..._starter_.html
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        I'm not advocating anything, Knuck,...

But here's the common approach:

Roller starter1.jpg

Roller starter2.jpg

starter.jpg

One of my drag racing associates had a two-handed electric powerwrench he put on the front drive somehow; I've little doubt it was Caterpillar equipment, but I never saw it in action. I believe it became obsolete when quads became common and they could just tow you.

......Cotten
        It was outlawed by racing organizations many years ago. They use a plug in starter now at crank.

Comment

Yeah, they should be illegal, Knuck!

Especially for the police.

Jimmy Long used his for ordinary services (I felt like if you couldn't kick it, it wasn't fixed).

A battery cart, auto starter, and switch would be easy. The hard part is the drive.

...Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Chris, I had seen that in the AMCA magazine but could not remember the name.
            #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Doc Z died recently. I bought one of his starters a few years ago . He told me a company in the UK ripped off his design. They were supposed to be making them under license from him. I saw them at the Mallory race tack in England. Not sure about the whole story but sorry to hear he passed. Spoke with him on the phone and it seems he had a very interesting life. The starter is very well made.

Comment

Working...
              X