Yes, now You too can be in denial.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, now You too can be in denial.

A couple of belated Harley-Davidson marketing blunders. 'cRaZy to think that the '90 Fat Boy will be almost AMCA criteria in only a few short years. I ordered one in 1990, and man, does time fly by.
    I can understand Harley-Davidson's silly logic on the 'Confederate Motorcycle', but to actually believe currently, that the 1990 'Grey Ghost' theme had nothing to do with the bombing of Japan~~What the Hell!!!

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 08-05-2023, 07:38 AM.

I really think that enough is enough when it comes to the AMCA 35 year rule. As time goes on motorcycles have become more durable, reliable, and with mass production so many more have survived. So right now you can just go and drive your Harley Evolution, Honda Rebel, Yamaha Cruiser right down to the show with no restoration effort and bam first place. Scotty just beam me up!
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Time to take a break in years.

Comment

Total agreement with Terry, and Tom. - - - Bet it won't happen, though.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I don't know fellas; playing devils advocate there is another post about attracting younger members.
          35 years may be considered a 'generation'. These motorcycles from the 1980s are someone elses; iconic
          motorcycle. Yes these bikes are durable, reliable, and more have survived. THANK GOD.
          Yes owner maintainence and tuning has been discouraged by the manufactures and like the modern automobile
          you likely need a diagnostic computer to tune them. But IMO in the end . . . our we closer to the end?
          In the end; it comes down to people weather at a meet looking at bikes or looking for parts, or riding or wrenching.
          If it's on two wheels (or is supposed to be) I'm there. May not be MY 'cup of tea' but I don't knock someone else's ride.

Comment

And then there will be Ebikes . . . .
            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Let's try this as a comparison. When I go into an Antique store I expect to see items that are old, and unique. Occasionally you will see a few things that are from the 1980's but very rarely beyond. Almost never do you see something mass produced or made in China. People are just not interested in that era of production. I think we have reached the peak of what is an Antique motorcycle.
              #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

If we want the next generations to pick up the torch, they have to have any entry point that is somewhat affordable. I entered the sport in the late 80's with a panhead basket case that was $3K. What's wrong with someone preserving and maintaining any two wheeled machine for 35 yrs and then wanting to share it with other enthusiasts?
                What is the new acceptable age of entrants...40yrs? 45yrs?
                I had to wait and trade my way to my first Knuck almost 35 years aftet entering the sport. The affordable pan basket got me hooked on a lifetime of collecting

Just my opinion, encourage any owner of a 35 year old machine to come on out and get involved. Setting the bar higher will work to make this club untouchable for many.

Comment

Don't fall into the trap, Folks,...

Of viewing through the fish-eye lens of the judging system.

The vast majority of new blood, and old, couldn't care less.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Eddie and Tom, I agree whole heartily on both points. I remember when our Chapter was formed in 1982 and all the "older" members put "No Choppers" on the meet flyers and the National rule was no machine over 1954. They would come to your house to check and see if you had enough parts to call it a antique bike before they would "Sponsor" you to join the Chapter.
                    DrSprocket

Comment

I think KNUCK said it well. . . If I say anything in addition, I'll get in trouble.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Eric everyone's got an opinion and that's a good thing. I started on a Knuck 60 years ago and still got one and the AMC used to still have pre-16'ers on rides and 20's and thirties machines in the late sixties into the early eighties. When more of our older member faded away so did those machines. Yes, you see later Pan's. Shovels, and now a few Evo's.but there's room for everybody. I can remember when Japanese and German machines were frowned on along with period modifieds. Then came the Cannonball and it showed you could ride really old machines except theym worked on them all night, had a portable machine shop in tow (some), and interior parts were CNC'd. That's why we havbe all the different classes if your Judge minded. When we/re gone, and we will be we have to think about what comes next. If YOU are taken care of now what's wrong with cutting the other guy some slack so he is too. Over 40 years in the club I have seen this topic kicked around like a can. I guess it's time was due again.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

Old machines didn't really fade away,they became so valuable that they are less seen today.
                          Remember Mike Smith packing many OP early bikes in a trailer to show.

Comment

Old machines didn't really fade away,they became so valuable that they are less seen today.
                            Remember Mike Smith packing many OP early bikes in a trailer to show.

Comment

One of the perks (for me) of belonging to an "antique club" is owning & riding something that LOOKS old. It's a good day when the guy in a car pulls up beside me, cranks the window down & hollers, "What Cheer Izzit?"
                              That doesn't happen with a new-ish looking bike. I'm glad I don't have to make this decision.
                              Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Working...
                              X