D day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D day

Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons Douglas Mc Arthur

You couldn't get an 18 year old to come out of Mama's basement from playing video games nowadays. I was at a hotel at the gates of Fort Bragg (which it will always be to me) sitting out front listening to a baseball game on my computer after a hard days work. A van pulled up with PA tags and the door opened and a guy helped this elderly gentleman out dressed impeccably in a WWII uniform, Garrison Cap with a glider patch. He couldn't walk without assistance and I saw he was in the 2/325 PIR 82nd ABN. I went over and shook his hand. He told me he jumped into Normandy on D-Day and was 16 years old. He wanted to see Fort Bragg one more time. God bless everyone of them. This should be a national holiday. 4,414 died that day.
    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
    1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Well said, micmac. My dad was one of the brave souls that landed that day. I wish he would be here to tell about it but he never talked about that or the rest of the war.

Comment

Thank You Gentlemen for your acknowledgement and remembrance.

*M.A.D.*

DDay1-160606-F-WR604-001.jpg
        Last edited by JoJo357; 06-06-2023, 05:30 PM.

Comment

May we never forget

Comment

My Uncle Dom on his Harley and the Sherman he landed on Normandy. I still tear up looking at these
            18760_1356867645877_2376429_n.jpg10730849_10205637990573202_924178790567648204_n.jpg10734006_10205637988733156_7892596253669199975_n.jpg
            My Uncle Dom and Uncle Jimmy. Both landed on D Day in Sherman's. Jimmy was wounded by shrapnel retrieving fuel dropped by the A.F
            18760_1356867965885_3763803_n.jpg

Comment

I have a niece working for Delta and they flew 40+ WWII vets over to Normandy last week, lie flat seats ...the whole works. She's there helping out and is sending great pictures of these guys in their late 90's on the beaches, in parades, at cemeteries, etc.
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                I have a niece working for Delta and they flew 40+ WWII vets over to Normandy last week, lie flat seats ...the whole works. She's there helping out and is sending great pictures of these guys in their late 90's on the beaches, in parades, at cemeteries, etc.
                How Wonderful, please if you have pictures, please share them if you can.

my last uncle died 2 years ago at the age of 98, he was a Marine at Iwo Jima. My other 2 uncles died decades ago, one was on a Navy destroyer in the South Pacific, the other was in the Army Corps of Engineers on the island of British New Guinea.
                Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
                https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

...only photos that don't show faces (because I don't have permission )

IMG_2521.jpegIMG_2518.jpegIMG_2523.jpegIMG_2522.jpegIMG_2519.jpeg
                  Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

This is in memory of my father Harold who landed on Omaha beach D-6 (still hot) drove ambulance then heavy truck with Patton's 3rd through the Bulge, liberated one camp, finished in Berlin. My uncle Jerry combat engineers who layed down floating bridges across rivers (the Germans blew the fixed bridges on retreat) all the way to Berlin and met up with my dad. Uncle Clendon flew out of England as a B-24 tailgunner and was lucky to complete all his missions intact. Uncle Howard served in hospitals helping the wounded on return from the front stateside. All my heroes. Dad was the youngest at 18. All passed but never forgotten.
                    DrSprocket

Comment

Thank you for sharing these stories. I am afraid the memories will die with our generation. My kids however who are in their 40's now grew up with me at VFW and American Legion functions and actually got to talk to guys like the ones you guys are describing. My Dad was in the Pacific in a Navy Construction Battalion. When asked about his service he would reply, "Yes, I was in the Navy during the war" and that was it. Those guys built runways, piers and the like all while under heavy fire at times. RIP Dad.
                      Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                      1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Tec4 Moshe D. Lenske is twice the man that POS Milley will ever be!

Comment

If you SERVED you can make that statement. It isn't needed on this forum about old motorcycles though. I can make that statement if I wished anywhere but here because I was based out of DaNang 69-70. Because of my dad' and his brothers we all enjoy that freedom. I wonder if Tec4 Moshe D. Lenske shares your view? Probably not!
                          DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                            If you SERVED you can make that statement. It isn't needed on this forum about old motorcycles though. I can make that statement if I wished anywhere but here because I was based out of DaNang 69-70. Because of my dad' and his brothers we all enjoy that freedom. I wonder if Tec4 Moshe D. Lenske shares your view? Probably not!
                            Everyone gets to have their own opinion and I thank you and appreciate and respect you and everyone that has serviced. to give us that right. And out of respect I'll withdraw my comment and not clamor on how it's my right

Comment

Working...
                            X