Beaded Windshields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaded Windshields

Does anyone know where to get the beading that is on Panhead windshields or how to get the old beading off? Or a source for the top half with the beading? Thanks

Hello Indianut:
    Thats a good question. I just happen to have a problem with my shield and did find it interesting. The area of the bead at the bracket that retains it,(the cross brace with brackets that surround the bead). was busted off. I found the bead came off the shield itself. Its slotted to fit to the plastic sheating, then glued with some kinda plastic glue. Plastic Model type Cement maybe??? Anyway, was gonna go to a local plastic shop and purchase some plastick round rod. Possibly, set it up in the lathe and slice a groove in it with a die grinder. I think its possible to make the whole top shield, then find someone who has made the Har-Dav Logo stamping. Am I deaming or has anyone tackled this project already???Joe

Comment

I have made the windshield part for the H-D windshield and a sidecar. I used Lexan, which is a tradename for polycarbonate. Lexan will not crack when drilled or formed. You can bend it on a metal break and it still won't crack. You cannot do that with Plexiglass, which is why it should not be used for a windshield. As for the beading, you can get polycarbonate rods in 6' lengths and most nominal diameters from McMaster Carr, (great company). I was thinking that you could use a dado saw blade in a table saw and make a 3/8" deep X 3/8" wide groove in a 2 X 4. Put the 3/8" polycarbonate rod in the groove and then using a saw blade that is the width of your windshield, cut a groove the length of the rod. I think a bit of wood glue in a few places would be wise and definately put an endstop on the 2 X 4 so you don't get speared by the rod as it gets shot out of the groove like a bullet. If that actually works, your next problem is to form it around the windshield. Hot water or an industrial heat gun would probably be quite helpful. Just a few thoughts.

Comment

Yes, your ideas sound very good. Very doable I think, then the cool part, get a logo stamp made up and look out Ebay. Keep the best w/shield for your favorite panhead, hey???.....Joe

Comment

Working...
        X