53 chief teleoscopic fork bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 chief teleoscopic fork bushings

G day members, I have a question on the chief telescopic fork bushings. Does the lower bushings get pressed on ? The slider legs i have someone has braze a metal bushings on , I have brought a set from Jerry Greer and these bushings are bronze i am confused about the rebuilding process any help would be appreciated, Rob

Rob;
    From the manual looks like a "push" fit.
    Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in:

""FRONT FORK (Continued)

ASSEMBLY OF PLUNGER

Place the seal and nut over the plunger tube feed the rod through the tube.

Assemble the seat screw and tube and secure firmly.

ASSEMBLY OF FORK MEMBER

Hold the lower tube in a vise by th axle end fitting.

Place fork cushion ring in position in the lower tube.

Coat the seat gasket with grease to hold it in place on the seat screw while lowering the plunger into the lower tube.

Instalļ the lockwasher and nut and secure firmly.

Pour eight ounces of fork fluid into the lower tube. Use Indian fork fluid #1163002.

Place the spring over the plunger and place the stop washer then the stop tube
    over the rod.

Place the plunger Rod assembling tooļ (#50l08) in the end of the plunger rod and
    assemble the upper tube into the lower tube.

Place the bushing over the upper tube and push into position in the lower tube.
    Install the oil seal with the lip down the felt seal the steel washer and retaining
    ring.

Compress the spring by holding down on the upper tube. Guide the flat sided end of
    the plunger rod into position through the hole at the upper end. Install the lock-
    washer and nut and secure firmly."

PS (No idea what tool #50108 would be)

Comment

Thanks PaulCDF , that part i understand, but would like more information on the lower bushings, etc how too , n like you mentioned maybe a press fit ?? Rob

Comment

The lower bushings are a "tight " push fit. There can not be too much of an interference fit or else the bushings will simply expand.
        The plunger assembling rod is just a 3/16" rod with a 10-32 thread on one end. It is threaded into the end of the plunger rod and is used to pull the plunger rod up into the upper tube . Rotation may be necessary to align the flats on the rod and tube so it can be pulled all the way up. A nut is then slid ofer the 3/16" rod and threaded onto the upper rod so it will not slide back down into the fork. The 3/16" rod can now be removed.
        Tom

Comment

Are you talking about the the lower leg machined bore and the lower tube bushing?
          My fork tubes have steel tube bushings ,I believe brazed on, but its been awhile.If you are replacing this bushing on the tube the fit in the lower lower leg is the biggest potential problem if there is excessive wear in the leg it may need to be machined with a custom matching bushing for the tube .I was lucky and the tubes,tube bushing and lower leg bore was not loose.
          The upper leg bronze/brass bushing is a light thumb press fit held in by the seal and snap ring.
          The bushing in the plunger rod should also fit as tight as possible with free movement in the tube.I built up the plunger with weld and remachined to good fit in the honed out metering tube.
          BTW my first Chief ,a 1950 basket case,had the fork legs welded to the tubes in the extended position for I guess an easy"fix"

Tom
          Last edited by tfburke3; 04-20-2023, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Tom n tfburke3 , that's given me the direction I need cheers, like you mentioned i will see if I can get the lower legs honed and than check the size to see if a std bush will work or make a custom size bush , do you fellas believe the lower bush would be fine as a press fit or go back to brazzing it on ? Thanks Rob

Comment

The brazed on steel is probably original bushing,but Im no expert only having seen one apart.
              Is it loose in the leg?
              If I had to replace I would probably go with Greer style bronze and pin and some loctite.
              check the tubes for straightness also.
              Tom
              Last edited by tfburke3; 04-20-2023, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Rob
                What I found curious was Geers listed the lower bushing as a "Weldment"
                "BUSHING, telescopic fork, lower tube weldment"
                Manual mentions nothing about brazing or welding
                Pictures would help.
                Might consider giving a call or email to Todd.

Jerry Geer Indian Telescopic Fork.jpeg

Last edited by PaulCDF; 04-20-2023, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Any original forks I have seen have a bronze lower bushing pressed on to the tube. It could be pinned for added peace of mind.
                  Tom

Comment

ok fellas great imput , i will need to get the legs hard chrome n reground then checked for straight .press fit bushing a pin with loctite , thats my plan of attack . the forks felt like they had no oil in them , but when i pulled them apart they were complete n had oil . the bottom bushing has gourdes in them ,the hard chrome on the top legs is in pour condition , they look terrible n would not hold pressure so this is why i have pulled them apart. cheers Rob

Comment

ps. i am not able to put up photos , i did years ago but not now , i could sent them by instagram or email

Comment

Working...
                      X