Questions about swap meets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about swap meets

I'm driving out to Oley with the intention of buying a motorcycle if the right one is for sale. This'll be my first visit to a big swap meet so can anyone tell me if there is any etiquette I should be aware of, and what is the typical means to transfer money? Wire transfer, check, or do guys really walk around with enough greenbacks to buy a knucklehead? Thanks

I would go to a local bank and do the transfer, Knuckle money is a lot to carry around.
    #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

I have bought motorcycles at swap meets, they were basically rolling basket cases and I did pay cash and have the means to take possession immediately.Not more then 10Gs , the most recognizable antique motorcycle dealers are best to deal with at their shops there are very legitimate dealers who bring motorcycles to Oley each year they look like good machines and there are guys like me who may have a project or whatever and want to sell it . What are your thoughts about paperwork I would at least download and print a bill of sale from your State and look into Noteries in the area.If I were going to buy this year I would have about 10G in cash and a few money orders to bring my available funds to my expected amount. Consider your purchase carefully there probably will be no returns .Good luck

Comment

There is a lot to like about AMCA meets but one thing I like most is that old fashioned cash is still king. Significantly improves your negotiating position, reduces hassle. Pay cash, transfer paperwork, take bike. We don't hear about transactions in the multiple 10s of thousands of dollars because people don't talk about it and for GOOD reason.
        Looking forward to Oley. Happy hunting JordanSpreader!
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

1-Know your budget
          2-Know what you are looking for
          3-Carry enough earnest money so seller knows you are serious
          4-Everything is negotiable

Respect goes a long way

Even if you do not buy this time meets are a Great chance to look, listen and learn

Registration, title paperwork is definitely a plus

ENJOY
          Just my opinion
          Last edited by PaulCDF; 04-17-2023, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses, it helps a lot.

Comment

Get there EARLY!

Comment

Originally posted by eddiepanhead View Post
                Get there EARLY!
                From what I've been told, Folks,...

The premium deals are pre-arranged and go down in motel parking lots before the Meets.

They then show up on the vendor field if it's a pirate bumping the price.

Or so I wuz told.

....Cotten
                PS: For smaller hardware, I always did best waiting until they were packing out!

(The good old days were when I would pick up the discards that would ebay fodder today.)
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-18-2023, 10:25 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                X