Military U model Harley Davidsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military U model Harley Davidsons

BigLakeBob posted this picture in the 'Old Photos" section but I have studied it before.

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
    Bob This photo has intrigued me for years. It defies my explanation. It is obviously WW2 (or is it not) and the 15th F A Med. Det. Any information I have found is that only the Marines and the Navy utilized BT flathead Harleys in any number. There are photos of Marines with WLA's but for the most part the WLA was US Army. These were probably 1940 UA's as there was a contract a for number of them under the Department of the Navy. Most US Navy UA's were Navy gray and most US Marine UA's are olive (not drab) with black frames. Are these 2 bikes olive or olive drab - I do not know but the paint does have a hint of shine that drab would not. They definitely do not have black frames. Having searched for the 15th F A has for the most part come up blank. The Marines do not have their own medical units and being part of the US Navy they utilize them. Most Marine as well as Navy and Army bikes have detachment markings on the tank. Any ideas or discussion surely welcome

filedata/fetch?id=310175&d=1680797393&type=thumbfiledata/fetch?id=310176&d=1680797393&type=thumb '41 UA & '40 ULA notice the chrome headlight bezel on the '40.Factory pics
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 04-06-2023, 11:15 AM.

Comment

scan0036.jpg It just looks like a regular 40UA to me, note the narrow primary, '40 alloy heads,18" wheels, some civilian parts, and pulling a sidecar as they all were. I had one that Bruce Palmer has never let me forget I sold and should have kept!
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

You can also see the early hand brake lever in the picture, so pre-1941, and the chrome and white grips show the US has not yet entered WW2.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. I've got most of the factory pictures of the UA in both Marine and Navy colors but lack the Army photos. These bikes are for sure 1940 because as Steve pointed out they have the 1940 and earlier front brake lever but also have the 1940 and up gas petcock. The Marines called their BT's parade bikes as if they were never meant to get far from a base. Most Navy BT's were utilized by the Shore Patrol for security. The one thing that has always mystified me is this - every civilian 1940 HD (knucklehead or bt flathead) that I have ever seen a picture of or seen in person has the swept forward rear springer leg and these bikes do not appear to.

Comment

Working...
          X