Vincent HRD Series A Rapide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincent HRD Series A Rapide

I need to know the number of Series A Vincent HRD Rapides that were produced. Does anyone know the figure, or can anyone refer me to a good source? I logged on to the VOC web site but I can't enter their forum because I'm not a member.

Jerry, Steve Wilson in his book "British Motor Cycles since 1950, Volume 6" shows a figure of 78 units from 1936 to July 1939 when production ceased for pending war. David Wright in his book "Vincent, The Complete Story", states "only about eighty units" built. Hope that this helps. Robbie

Comment

Vincent Series A Rapides

Thanks, Rub. I note in Bikerstaff's "Original Vincent" she cites 78 as the official number of motorcycles, but mentions that at least two engine numbers were repeated, so that the exact number of Series A Rapide motorcycles is not 100 percent certain.

Comment

Phil Vincent's 1976 autobiography give the numbers of Series A Rapides in each year of production as 1936 - 1, 1937 - 14, 1938 - 39, and 1939 - 24, for a total of 78.
        David Wright's 2002 book gives the "official" table of pre war production which appeared in Vincent's book but mentions on page 62 that "about eighty" of the series A twins were produced.

Obviously nobody knows - exactly. But I suggest that the 78 is probably "production for sale to the public" and that there were a couple of others - probably the prototype and also a works development hack.

AFJ

Comment

Vincent H.R.D. Series A Rapide

Thanks, AFJ!

Comment

Working...
          X