Which VL Starter Cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which VL Starter Cover?

I'm finally working on a 32 VL that I bought 8 or so years ago. I'm finding a lot of worn or bad parts along with incorrect parts. The transmission is an early VL transmission or a mismatch of parts. Anyway the starter cover is wrong for a 32. I have the correct starter cover but that leads me to what or which starter cover cap is correct. In the attached picture you can see 4 different cover caps, all with the same casting number but from two different foundries. All are slightly different with the main difference being on the left side notch. Does anyone know which one is correct for the 32 VL?

Thanks

IMG_3324.jpeg

I believe that one on the bottom left would be correct for 1932 as that's the first year for the grease nipple that can be seen at 9 o'clock.

Comment

Agreed. The grease connection on that starter cover should have a short extension and an Alemite fitting. 1932 is the first year for the one piece clutch pull rod bearing 2448-32. Before this a three piece bearing was used, with a tang to locate in the slot inside the starter cover back to 1926.

Comment

Steve, which cover would be correct for the 30 & 31 VL's, since the tangs are slotted differently? Thanks, learning a little more each day.
        Last edited by Lippy; 03-29-2023, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Lippy
          The differences in the slots probably has to do with the relative position of one half of the casting pattern to the other.
          The slots are all in the same place in the part on a whole.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
          X