Skip Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip Chase

Has anyone in our club ever heard of a racer from the 1950's and 60's named Skip Chase. He lived in our neighborhood in Meriden Connecticut. He was a professional racer, although probably not full time. My most vivid memory of him was when I was about 9 or 10. He and two of his friends were dirt biking with what I'm sure were knuckleheads and pans, (I do know they were Harleys). They were riding through the woods and into a big open field, doing wheelies. doughnuts, and generally raising hell. It really looked like fun and it could have been one of those seminal moments in my life that made me want a motorcycle. He asked my friend Bob and I if we wanted to see his racing motorcycles so we ran behind the motorcycles as they went up hills and through brooks. The racing bikes were full fairing jobs and he said they were Japanese motorcycles, which in those days were very exotic. I do remember that I liked the bikes they were beating up more than the racers because they looked like more fun. The other thing I remember is a pile of motorcycle parts in the far corner of his property. . . . I've often wondered what was in that pile and what happened to the dirt bikes.

I wanted to revive this old post and see if anyone knows about Skip Chase, or knows where to look for his name in the records. I recall he had a daughter near my age, and she had a magazine with a picture of her Dad in a race. He lived in Meriden, Connecticut.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
    X