Harley Sport Model book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley Sport Model book

Dear All, the 1919-23 Harley Sport flat twin is the only model early Harley-Davidson not yet covered by a book. They made nearly ten thousand, but they are rarely seen today, so now is the time to collect information for the next generation. I'm looking for photos of good original and restored machines, sales brochures, model launch Enthusiasts, technical info, restoration and riding experience etc that can be put together to make an informative monograph later this year. This will not be a money making project, and all contributions will be acknowledged. Please contact me at vlheaven@aol.com if you'd like to participate. Thanks and best regards, Steve Slocombe.

Steve,
    Please be aware that there are 3 HD Sport Twin Parts Books and to get a good,true progression picture the total 3 must be used in conjunction with one another.
    My 3 are in a bound book of 1915 to 1932 Parts books so are almost impossible to copy but I have photographed the covers and attached them so you know what you're looking for.
    I've got a very original 1920 mag model one that I can photograph for you if that's what you want.
    Frame numbers are stamped on the machined surface underneath the rear engine mounting plates so are not easy to access and quote. DSCF4443.JPGDSCF4441.JPGDSCF4446.JPG
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks Tommo and I have the final parts book but not the earlier ones. Harley tended to airbrush out changes, so I'm interested in the technical development between the years. Photos of your bike will be much appreciated. Left and right general views at one megabyte plus, and any other features you think will be of interest. The Club has only ten Sport models recorded as judged, so I'm struggling to find good pictures, and have no 1921 model pictures yet.

I didn't know the Sports had frame numbers. Was this just for the export bikes do you think, like the pocket valve twins from the same era?

Comment

Because the frame numbers are hidden under the rear engine plates they had to be applied before the bike was assembled so I would think every frame was stamped at the factory and not just ones for export.
        With that in mind I do disagree with the statement that only Export J's were stamped with frame numbers as when three of us kiwis spent a day with Dale Walksler in 2012 this subject came up and every frame from the 1925 to 27 period he produced was stamped with a frame number. I have seen a few 1928 frames stamped with factory numbers but the one 29 frame that was stamped looked like a number job to me.
        Back to the Sport Twin and the logistics of identifying just export bikes from home market ones with a frame number that is not visible when the bike is assembled would make life very difficult for those in the dispatch area of the factory.
        I think if owners chose to look they would find a frame number on their Sport Twin but it takes a fair amount of dismantling to achieve that.
        A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

My 3 Sport Model frames are stamped on the left rear engine mount surface as well. I believe all were stamped.I have a 1919-1922 parts book as well as a Sport Model instruction book. Harley Sport Model parts 1919-1922 002.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

Tom
            That is an issue of the Parts Book that I haven't seen and made me look at the release dates of all the parts books.
            15th November 1919, 1st February 1921, 15th August 1922 and a reprint of the 1922 one on the 1st November 1923.
            I haven't had a definitive look but generally each issue had changes of spec and it takes a serious amount of time to research them.
            The 1923 reprint issue has the chain guard that replaced the fully enclosed ones on the earlier models.
            You beat me to the gun on the Riders Manual but I did copy a couple of pages that I thought may be of interest.
            Of those pages I've posted from my copy you can see what sellotape does when used to repair paper. maybe whoever did it didn't know better. 1921 Sport Twin Tool Roll.jpgR.H. side lube chart0001.jpgL.H. side lube chart0001.jpg
            A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

This is from the "Motor Cycle" magazine of 2-12-1920 and is the best illustration I've seen of the toolbox fitted to Electric model Sport Twins Sport Twin Electric Model Toolbox0001.jpg
              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Thanks Tommo. I have the November 1 1923 Sport parts book in the Harley 1909-32 parts book collection, but not the earlier ones. Would you like to take a shot at writing up technical changes between model years in exchange for a credit in the book? See the JD book, which benefited from contributions from 25 AMCA members.

I've located a couple of Sport sales brochures, but the Enthusiast magazines are too early for my collection. Does anyone have relevant Enthusiasts they are prepared to share? Just model launch issues would be a help, or copies of Sport articles and photos. Thanks again to all.

Comment

Steve that's something I'd have to say no to as you're talking about weeks if not months of research and that's time I do not have.
                  I'll help where I can.
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

image_36003.jpgimage_36004.jpg
                    This is the front and back cover of the June 1920 "Enthusiast". I have from Feb of that year in a continuous run. There are quite a few articles featuring Sport Models. Not sure how much of that stuff you want, there are pictures but usually quite small.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have noted 3 variations in the Sport Model frames. The early 1919 models had a 1 1/8" OD seat post tube. The forging that connects to the under tank tube goes around the seat post tube. The next type later in 1919 has a 1 1/4: OD seat post tubing that is tapered down to 1 1/8" at top and bottom. The forging that connects the under frame tube is similar to the earlier one except it is slightly larger. The third version of frame also has the 1 1/4" OD seat post tube tapered to 1 1/8" but the forging that connects to the under tank tube is different. It does not go right around the seat post tube but only about 3/4 of the way around on each side. I tried to upload photos of the 3 types but it tells me the size exceeds the width and height limits and I don't know how to correct it.
                      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                        I tried to upload photos of the 3 types but it tells me the size exceeds the width and height limits and I don't know how to correct it.
                        Tom
                        Tom, you are probably getting an error message like this:

1.jpg

If you are using Microsoft Windows, you should have a built in program called "Paint". Search for the program and open it.

2.jpg

Open your oversized picture inside of Paint and go to the resize button. If you switch to "Pixels" at the top of the "Resize and Skew" box you will probably see dimensions that exceed the max allowed.

3.jpg

Change the larger dimension to be within the maximum 4608 x 4608 requirement and save the picture. You may want to save it under a different name so you don't lose the full resolution of the original.

4.jpg

If all goes well, you should now be able to upload your pictures to the website. I hope this helps!
                        Eric Olson
                        Membership #18488

Comment

Thanks Tommo and I'll have a shot at year by year technical changes. Are you prepared to review a first draft say next month? If so please send me your Email address.

Comment

Dear Rubone, I would dearly like to see your run of Enthusiasts to see how the Sport was positioned in the market. Can you please Email me at vlheaven@aol.com to discuss? And are you, and Tom, available to critique a future draft of this modest publication?

Comment

Rubone and all,
                              Dated evidence like that is something that I've wanted to see for many years as it shows the later style tank transfer was used in 1920.
                              Tank Transfers don't appear in the Parts Books so it's been difficult to determine when the change from the shield style to the traditional script style occurred.
                              The earliest possible dated photograph of the script style tank transfer would help in trying to pinpoint when this change happened. Can you be of any help with that Rubone?
                              Because of your "Enthusiast" model changes must have happened mid year because it shows the electric model available prior to the traditional new model release date.
                              The first mention I have found of the Electric Sport Twin is in the H.D. produced book "The Legend Begins" and it is on the "Order Sheet" for 1921 but not on the 1920 sheet.
                              Rubone next question: When is the first mention of the Electric model you can find in the "Enthusiast" magazine?
                              Talking about electric models has made me remember that the rear mudguard/fender tip is different on the mag model to the one fitted to the electric model.
                              The difference is very minor but the electric model has a hole for the wire to the tail light that the mag model doesn't have.
                              It's not a drilled hole but a nice pressed one not unlike what the J models have.
                              A stroke a while back has made things harder to bring to mind and describe so you all may have to allow me some leeway if I am slow remembering things.
                              A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Working...
                              X