Motorcycle Safety & Accident Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Safety & Accident Data

I was perusing around on the AMCA website and ran across this link. Pretty interesting and comprehensive data. Not hard to cypher that avoiding a few of the high risk causes can drastically reduce risk of an accident.
    https://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/docs.ashx?id=1082193

Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

So are you suggesting I shouldn't be riding my rear brake only longbike with a 110" stroker in it with a camelback full of Jack and Coke at high speed.??
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Na what fun would that be! I would never try to dictate how one rides. Data is irrelevant to the fearless!! Carry on!
      Me personally, in this world of texters and burgeoning drug use, I want to live to ride to a ripe old age.
      Jason Zerbini

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

It seems there are three key things: 1) nearly 1/3rd of those killed had no license, 2) nearly 1/3rd of those killed were alcohol impaired, and 3) nearly 2/3rds killed had no helmet.

All are Rider, not driver caused issues. The tight overlap suggests the same folks without a license are getting boozed up and cruising at night without a lid. None of that is surprising to old bikers.

Id be curious about the size of bikes too. I bet most are high power and/or high weight.

The most interesting thing I’ve seen is how many people openly get stoned while in traffic in Chicago. As soon as reefer legalization hit Illinois the clouds coming out of cars and trucks got real fragrant, real fast. It is surprising how many people feel they are not impaired by smoking a joint. Folks who would never walk down the street sipping a bottle of Jack Daniel’s will gleefully smoke up while walking in a park with their kids. It’s sorta scary how many people at all walks of life are just stoned going to or from work. also surprising are the number of doctors and lawyers driving their teslas while smoking a spliff. I live near a few golf courses and the clientele on the weekends are practically a rolling reefer factory. There’s just something funny about 55-75 year old wealthy professionals getting all smoked up driving their luxury suv to the country club. They are hella chatty at gas stations, which can be entertaining when you’re on an old bike.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
          Thanks for sharing.

It seems there are three key things: 1) nearly 1/3rd of those killed had no license, 2) nearly 1/3rd of those killed were alcohol impaired, and 3) nearly 2/3rds killed had no helmet.

All are Rider, not driver caused issues. The tight overlap suggests the same folks without a license are getting boozed up and cruising at night without a lid. None of that is surprising to old bikers.

Id be curious about the size of bikes too. I bet most are high power and/or high weight.

The most interesting thing I’ve seen is how many people openly get stoned while in traffic in Chicago. As soon as reefer legalization hit Illinois the clouds coming out of cars and trucks got real fragrant, real fast. It is surprising how many people feel they are not impaired by smoking a joint. Folks who would never walk down the street sipping a bottle of Jack Daniel’s will gleefully smoke up while walking in a park with their kids. It’s sorta scary how many people at all walks of life are just stoned going to or from work. also surprising are the number of doctors and lawyers driving their teslas while smoking a spliff. I live near a few golf courses and the clientele on the weekends are practically a rolling reefer factory. There’s just something funny about 55-75 year old wealthy professionals getting all smoked up driving their luxury suv to the country club. They are hella chatty at gas stations, which can be entertaining when you’re on an old bike.
          Yes I pretty much came to same conclusion on the big 3. Age group and speeding was a factor as well. It does break down by engine size on page 5. The highest percentage was in the 500cc to 1000cc size. Maybe the cheaper crotch rockets?
          Jason Zerbini

Comment

Thanks for the data,
            I certainly want everyone to be safe, there are too many distracted or impaired drivers as pointed out above. My faith in government statistics has been shaken in recent years, but this data seems to be pretty much in line with the findings of the 1981 Hurt study on motorcycle accidents and with what I heard at a MSF class. Everyone needs to know themselves; thier machine
            and "expect the unexpected". For personal safety I prefer:

https://www.hit-air.com/en/motorcycl...p/jacket_vest/

But then that's my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
              Thanks for the data,
              I certainly want everyone to be safe, there are too many distracted or impaired drivers as pointed out above. My faith in government statistics has been shaken in recent years, but this data seems to be pretty much in line with the findings of the 1981 Hurt study on motorcycle accidents and with what I heard at a MSF class. Everyone needs to know themselves; thier machine
              and "expect the unexpected". For personal safety I prefer:

https://www.hit-air.com/en/motorcycl...p/jacket_vest/

But then that's my choice.

Interesting stats
              Way less accidents at night so that would suggest its the safer time to ride,while probably opposite, just less people ride at night.
              Tom

Comment

The most interesting thing I’ve seen is how many people openly get stoned while in traffic in Chicago. As soon as reefer legalization hit Illinois the clouds coming out of cars and trucks got real fragrant, real fast. It is surprising how many people feel they are not impaired by smoking a joint. Folks who would never walk down the street sipping a bottle of Jack Daniel’s will gleefully smoke up while walking in a park with their kids. It’s sorta scary how many people at all walks of life are just stoned going to or from work. also surprising are the number of doctors and lawyers driving their teslas while smoking a spliff. I live near a few golf courses and the clientele on the weekends are practically a rolling reefer factory. There’s just something funny about 55-75 year old wealthy professionals getting all smoked up driving their luxury suv to the country club. They are hella chatty at gas stations, which can be entertaining when you’re on an old bike. [/QUOTE]

Too funny, and right on! You'd think they might slow down when they're baked, but no, they still drive like assholezs.
                A. Bernhardt
                AMCA# 9726

Comment

Cannabis is the new & revised alcohol Alex. Time for those legalized Marijuana States to start raking in the doe left & right at the expense of people who will be succumbed to it's influence. Not to mention, the dummying~up of the nation by a drug that is more toxic & potent than most people realize.

*M.A.D.*
                  Last edited by JoJo357; 01-04-2023, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X